UNA #14

I was about to ask her what she meant by telling me that Jason had killed her, when there was this white light flashing the whole room.

Next my ears heard this endless beep that was much too loud to bear for long. And finally all was gone.

Cass. The room. Everything.

I didn't even see any floor or ceiling. Or sky. In case the building had crashed down.

Just white nothing. All around me. In fact it felt really good.

I tried to sense what was going on. I had Jason's voice in my head about dreams and people and where they were if they left this place. And if I was still in somebody's dream. Or if this was the first time I was really on my own for a long time.

At least I was not as confused as I had been. I could guess where Jason and Cass had gone to. That they had a different world they lived in.

It was a bit strange to stand on a floor I couldn't see or feel. But then I lay down and just enjoyed this floating sensation.

I realized that there was nothing on my mind. Absolutely nothing. I started not to feel like the Una, I used to think I was.

For a very long time I stayed in this spacious stillness.

Until a thought returned to me. It was about my past. That wasn't mine anymore.

I asked myself, whether the whole identity and its story I had taken on, actually belonged to Cass.

Which was good news because that meant that I could maybe find her in her world.

I went through all the stuff and information that I could remember about my mom that turned out to be not mine.

On the one hand I was glad. But at the same time I felt sorry for Cass because I knew how hard it could be to be the daughter of this woman.

Suddenly I remembered this letter that had come from school. It said: Jennifer Brown, Greensboro Road, Hanover.

I did not recall any numbers, but it was more than enough to track the place down.

Now I just needed the only person I knew that could help me: Jason.