Chapter 53: Conformation

I cannot tell you how excited I was to write this scene :D

Bakugo POV

Flashback 😀

The doorbell rang. His mother was in the living room, flipping though some nameless book. He doesn't care to remember.

His parents had been quiet these days. Mitsuki hasn't yelled at him so many times she normally would have. His father spent his time working or napping. Both had dark eye bags under their eyes.

His mother wordlessly stood up, setting the book face down on the coffee table. She walked briskly to the door. Katsuki watched as the door clicked open.

"Mitsuki-san." The person, clearly an older guy, a teenager perhaps, said softly.

Katsuki looked up curiously. That voice sounds familiar.

"Come in." His mother nodded. She turned her head, yelling at his dad who was asleep on the couch. "Masaru! Keiku's here!"

Oh. Keiku. The one who tried to get all buddy buddy with him. He was a fucking jerk, all patronizing and bright ass smiles. He even called him 'little bro'.

His dad jolted awake, sitting up. "Any leads?" He said, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

"Sorry, I came here because of something else. I have to tell you." The jerk said. His eyes sweeped the room, landing on Katsuki. He bristled and clenched his jaw. His gaze was sad, almost pitying. How. Dare. He.

"Lets discuss it in private." He ended up saying, turning his head away.

"Oi, bitch. You think I can't handle some gossip?! How fucking dare you, asshole!"

"Venomous as always, Kat." He bristled at the nickname as he glared.

"Should he- ?" Masaru asked, a question in his eyes. "He's only eight."

"He'll find out eventually." His mother said, worried eyes finding his.

"Okay." Keiku sighed.

"I-" He started, then took a deep breath. "I had to tell you in person."

"The police found about 4 liters of blood whose DNA matched with Reicchan's. They pronounced her dead. Someone can't survive with that much blood loss." He grimaced.

"They fucking gave up?! Just like that?" His mother was furious, but under that, there was thinly veiled despair.

Keiku gulped, "The task force has been disbanded."

Mitsuki was pale, face so eerily still that it could be mistaken for a ghost.

He turned, taking something that was propped up against the wall outside and set the frame gently on the floor. He tilted it a bit.

The painting had a large frame. It reached all the way to the man's midsection and was the width of a door.

Katsuki remembers it clearly. Short cut ash blonde hair, deep, bloody red eyes, porcelain, scarless face with a shit eating grin. A girl with the face of someone who burned down the entire fucking earth and then some. Like someone who stared Satan in the eye and laughed like a maniac.

It was the most beautiful painting he saw in his short life, after all.

"I made this for her a while ago. Take it." Keiku delicately tapped the painted frame.

Mitsuki blinked. "Kei- I, I can't take this. It's precious to you. Keep it."

The boy smiled, eyes becoming watery and voice shaky. "Bold of you to assume I only painted one portrait of her, auntie." He smiled lopsidedly.