31

• flashback - 14 years ago •

Decatur, Georgia.

"bro fuck all that, we just friends" zac said as he and his best friend, cameron chained their bikes up outside the yellow corner store.

"man bullshit. you like her weird ass" he nudged zac's shoulder.

"man fuck outta here. she cool as fuck and that's it" zac said, opening the door to the store.

"so you telling me, if tima threw all that ass at you, you wouldn't-"

"nigga, i ain't say all that" they laughed together..

after 15 minutes, they paid for their items at checkout and left, riding back towards Zac's childhood home.

the sight of a shiny black Cadillac with dealer plates parked in the drive way pissed Zac off instantly.

cameron watched Zac's face turn sour.

"aye bro, you want me to come in with you?" cam asked as the slowed down. zac didn't take his eyes off the car. "nah bro" he said, hoping off his bike and grabbing the bag from the handle bars. "i'll hit you later"

"you sure man?" zac just nodded before they did their handshake.

he stood outside, making sure cameron was gone before to put his bike of the front porch, taking his keys out to unlock the door. he grew even more pissed at the fact the door was already slightly open.

"i swear to God.." he gritted walking into the house. it was silent. "Ma!" he called out but got nothing. "Ma!" he called out again. he began to silently panic.

zac took a deep breath before pulling the gun from his waistband.

"zac...baby" he heard his mothers weak voice coming from the kitchen. he tucked the gun away before running over to her.

"mama.." he said kneeling at her side as she lay on the floor. he noticed her lip was baldy busted, both eyes bloody& swollen, and a huge purple knot, steadily growing on her forehead as he tried undoing the knots in the rope around her wrists.

"i gotta get you up" he said, fighting his tears. "no baby" she swallowed hard, "i'm okay zac, call your grandmother and leave right now"

"no mama! get up" he said, trying to lift her off the floor, "zachary, stop" she lowly ordered, lifting her head to look down at her feet. "he cut my ankles to the bone baby, i can't get up" she cried as they looked down the her bloody feet.

16 year old zac was silently losing his mind, she could see the panic and fear all of his face. "call your grandmother baby"

"what for? what can she do?" the slick, greasy voice came from behind zac making his stomach turned. he kissed his mother's forehead before standing to his feet. "zachary" she began to sob, "please baby" zac ignored her, turning to face his father.

"big man, huh?" rod asked, removing his hands from his pockets.

"fuck you bitch" zac spat at him, making him chuckle. "my little nigga got heart, i like that on your son"