Three's Too Many - 1

Chapter 3
Status: Beginning

Funny story, or maybe not funny at all, but I found Blueberry like I'd promised! I tried to look for him after the Paper date, and I'd found him hanging out in the staff lounge by himself

Funny story, or maybe not funny at all, but I found Blueberry like I'd promised! I tried to look for him after the Paper date, and I'd found him hanging out in the staff lounge by himself. It didn't take him too long to notice me- and once he did he got up, looking a bit concerned.

"Lifering, I need to talk to you." He approached me slowly, and then I realized he only was doing that because of what had happened earlier. I wasn't in the peak physical condition, but I didn't let him get too close.

"Oh! I wanted to talk to you, but you must have something important to tell me... go ahead." I sat down, without help, on one of the three couches surrounding a coffee table, and Blueberry sat beside me awkwardly.

"Lifering- you always had faith in me. I hope you know that your support, although rejected sometimes, meant a lot to me back on Indefinite Island. You mean a lot to me in general." He paused for a moment, and I could feel myself blushing at his flattery.

"Blue, I just want to try and bring out the best in others! Though it's been hard doing that lately. Is that all you had to say?"

"No. Lifering, I've been trying to tell you this for a few days now, but after yesterday I knew I couldn't just not tell you." He moved a piece of hair out of his face, clearing his throat a bit. "I think I'm in love with you."

My smile dropped instantly. "...what?"

"Do you- do you feel that way, too?" His voice never changed, but he seemed genuinely curious and anxious for my response. I didn't even know what to say- that had just come up out of the blue (pun not intended)! How was I supposed to respond to such a thing? He'd been my friend for so long, and maybe that meant that there was going to be a next step for him, but I shook my head.

"Blueberry- I can't. It's too sudden, there's too much going on, and I'm... aromantic, anyway. I don't really have romantic feelings or attraction for anyone- and I don't think I ever have." He looked away from me while he thought, and I reached out to hold one of his hands. Was I going to apologize? Well... no. I didn't have to apologize for not having feelings, that's making it sound like I did something wrong here. That doesn't mean I didn't want to make him feel better, though. "I'm sure you'll find someone out there- someone great! Someone who'll love you that way, but it's not going to be me. I just want to be your friend, ok?"

He seemed understandably disappointed as he stared at our hands. "Yeah. I'm sorry if I-"

"Don't apologize. It's fine- I'm happy you told me instead of trying to make subtle moves or anything like that. And no matter what, I'll stick to just being your friend! I won't let this ruin anything if you won't."

"I won't try to-"

"HIIIII!" Oh good. My favorite person had arrived. Fan showed up at the doorway, waving to us with more enthusiasm than ever. Blueberry waved back, just a little bit. "Man- you are the only one here who ever gives me the attention I crave- I love it! Anyway, I've heard from some rumors that there's a party tomorrow! Not a funeral, a real party! The funeral will be held extra early, and then it'll be like a middle school dance, I guess? I don't know I didn't listen that much. You guys should totally go- everybody should!"