AGT - Execution

After maybe a full minute of being dragged along a dark corridor by nothing but my neck, I had been taken to a small pool room, with a wave pool in the middle, gently rippling away. Then I saw the other devices that had taken the others, throwing what looked like bodies into the pool. The speakers repeated one simple goal.

"Save your friends, and you all get to leave."

My selfish thoughts and fears had turned suddenly hopeful, as now I knew that I could do this. I was a lifeguard! My whole life's purpose was to get others out of the water- I could do this! So, I grabbed ahold of some floatation devices nearby, and dove right into the water.

Immediately, the rippling from before turned into violent, thrashing waves that constantly smacked into me when I tried to get to everyone. I could hardly see anything beyond dark silhouettes of people, but I began to quickly hand out my floatation devices to one body, then two.

I took a moment to swim up and tread water while I tried to breathe, making sure to face away from the waves so I didn't swallow too much water. I only had enough times for a couple gasps before I forced myself back down, getting the third person a floatation device to help them get out. The fourth one I couldn't manage to find at first... I went up to get more air, but the waves were soon coming up over my head, so my inhales were interrupted with sudden floods washing over me.

After a bit of searching, the fourth one was there, but sinking into what I could only assume was a never-ending bottom to this pool. The moment I got the device beneath their arms, I looked at them to see who I'd saved.

I soon realized it was a puppet. All of them were puppets. I had done all of that for nothing... but I saved them, and all I had to do was get out. It was kinda weird how all the other executions had seemed impossible on screen, but now I was about to win!

As I started to swim up and took one small breath, the waves suddenly pushed me right back under, causing me to inhale the pool water and launch me a few feet downward. Soon after that, the adrenaline in my body began to die down as my arms and legs grew extremely sore and tired. Getting the puppets out wasn't the hard part- this was.

I'd come so close before, so I fought the pain and swam to one edge of the pool to grab ahold of the sides once I got out, but the water had started to flood the room beyond the pool itself, with waves still just as violent. My head broke the surface again, but I couldn't even get my mouth open to breathe before I was knocked straight under again. Every part of my body began to stop working for me, and just like that I began to sink below the original edge of the pool, and into the blackening water.

This was it? I knew I had done so little, and my own inattentiveness and overly-positive outlook made others so miserable that now I was sent to die. Every action, every word, and every moment meant absolutely nothing. No matter how hard I would've tried, I would only sink myself deeper, so I let my mind run free while I let my muscles relax. My chest tightened and my throat ached as I instinctively began to try and breathe in despite the circumstances.

That last breath. Pepper's had felt so refreshing, like all the world's stress would disappear, but this? I couldn't have felt more pain... the last thing I must've seen was the outline of some... thing, holding a lifering and coming to me, but I closed my eyes. It took some wishful thinking to hallucinate like that.

 It took some wishful thinking to hallucinate like that