1

'Don't. Make. A sound.'

A cold, metal barrel leaning on my temple accompanied by a threatening, deep voice doesn't do much to calm my heart down. It's beating out of my chest. Hidden in this dark room, in dead silence, the only thing I can hear is the water dripping in a distant corner of the room, and my shallow, fast breathing through the cracks between the fingers that are holding my mouth closed.

My eyes darted around in the darkness, trying to scan the room for anything that could help, but the more I look, the more terrified I am.

How did it get to this?

Well, let me take you 15 minutes back in time.

-----

Just another day at work. Just another day of plastering the smile on my face and using the so-called customer voice. Be polite. Be happy. Smile more.

There is nothing in this life I hate more than acting fake. So it's only appropriate to work in customer service then. Doing exactly that. Acting. But I have to make money somehow, and this was the only job I was able to find so soon after I left my boyfriend and had to move out. A waitress. At the mall coffee shop.

'Is anyone working here?' I heard a high-pitched voice, already thinking about how I want to frisbee this tray in my hand at the person's head

'Apologies for the waiting, ma'am. What can I get for you?' A soft, customer voice out of my mouth sounds nothing like me. The smile I have on could win awards right now.

The obviously spoiled daddy's little girl, with freshly done nails, was scanning me up and down, grimacing a little, so very obviously judging me. She sighed dramatically before speaking to me in the most flat, annoying tone, 'Can I have, like, some coffee or something?'

No, Rain, you can't slap her with the tray.

'Absolutely, ma'am. What kind of coffee would you like? Black, white, espresso, latte, or maybe an iced coffee?' I ask, still smiling

'Ugh, I don't know. Just... coffee.' She scoffs, pretending she's shooing me away, waving her hand at me

'Of course. I'll bring it right away.' I bow and turn, walking away to the bar. I bit my tongue not to curse her out loud. Why is it so hard to be polite? You would think I shot her dog or something, and she's never even seen me. Bitch.

My colleague, Lee, who works at the bar, saw my face and started snickering. 'I'm just waiting for the day when you'll knock one out.'

'Can you just, like, give me a coffee?' I immitate the annoying rich-girl voice, twirling the strand of my blonde hair around my index finger, making him snicker even more

'Should I spit in it?' He jokes as he starts making one

'No. But if you have some rat poison, I won't say a word.' I sigh, making him laugh so much he almost dropped the cup, spilling the milk on his hands

I chuckled and turned around, taking another look at the woman who's currently going through her shopping bags, all excited. And there are quite a few bags. I wish I had that kind of money.

Suddenly, dozens of people created a stampede, running and screaming in front of the coffee shop, pretty much running each other over in the shopping mall's halfway.

'What the-'

Chaos and panic ensued once the shots echoed through the entire mall, causing people to screech and scream, running for their lives. A shooting? In the mall?!

I was in too much of a shock to move, but another sound of shots going off quickly changed that

'RUN!' Lee screamed at me, pulling me by my arm, but a child's cry stopped me in my tracks

A child, maybe 5 or 6, was on the ground crying, screaming for her mom. Everyone is jumping over her.

'RAIN NO! RUN!' Lee screams at me as another shot goes off

'I can't leave the kid! Go hide. I'll be right behind!' I ripped my hand away and ran towards the girl, picking her up from the ground amidst all the mess. By this time, the dozens had already run off, so it was relatively easy to get her. I just need to hide her, and I'll give her to the police as soon as I can.

The next shot sounded like it was in front of me, so I raised my head just to see a man running in our direction, shooting behind him without even looking.

He might be a few years older than me, maybe in his 30s. Young. He's in a suit, but it's ripped in a few places, with a big bloody mess on his left shoulder. Looks like he's been shot.

'It's okay. Shh.. we need to hide.' I tried to calm the girl, but she only kept screaming, pulling the attention of the random shooting man who looked directly at me. Shit.

I picked her up and stared running again when another shot went by me, shooting at the table a few feet in front of me. WHY ME?!

'STOP THERE!' He screamed after me, letting another shot into the ceiling above me, making the little girl in my arms scream even louder

I wasn't gonna stop, but I can't carry her. What if he shoots the kid?

He is a lot faster than I thought because he's pulled me back by grabbing my hair, making me yelp.

'WAIT, WAIT! I'LL GO WITH YOU! JUST LET THE KID GO!' I know he's not letting me go, but at least the kid

He pretty much ripped the kid out of my hands with one arm and threw her on the ground, pulling me with him. She was screaming in pain, but at least he left her. I just hope she's not hurt.

He ran, pulling me along and pushing me almost down the stairs to an old boiler room. He broke through the door, pushing me in first, then closing the door. It's pitch dark in here. It smells musty and stale. It's freezing cold. Nothing in here but walls, old boilers that supply the mall, and the stench of old water that had soaked the walls and created mould. Even in the dark, you can smell it just fine.

I got dragged behind one of the boilers, with him pulling me on himself, wrapping both arms around me. One around my face, closing my mouth and another one holding a gun against my head.

'Don't. Make. A sound.' He threatened in a low, quiet growl

I know I have a gun to my head right now, but I'm more afraid of the dark. I have always been terrified of darkness ever since I was a kid. I can't sleep unless I have a light on. I feel like I'm about to have a panic attack purely because of it.

I heard him hiss quietly as he leaned onto the boiler behind him, hiding even more. It must be his shoulder. All the blood from his wound is pouring out. I can feel the warm, sticky liquid drenching through his suit onto my shirt. He was breathing deeply, trying to stay quiet.

I have no idea what he's hiding from, but he is terrified. His heart is beating like crazy against my back. Not that mine is better.

'Shut up or I'll kill you!' He hisses at me as I cry, letting the tears pour out of my eyes. I never thought I'd die in the boiler room of a shopping mall, held hostage by a shooter. And he will kill me. He doesn't seem like the type to let anyone live.

It was like he stopped breathing, hearing the big metal door we came through creak open.

'Nicholas. We know you're here. Come out, you coward.'