25

We walked down the pebble beach, and I found a comfy spot to sit in, and he sat down next to me.
I haven't been at the beach in a long time. Must be years. I forget how calming it is. Just listening to the waves. Nothing else.

'Did I finally find a way to shut you up?' He teases, but I had other things on my mind

'I used to go to the beach with my mom.' I spoke quietly, looking at the water splashing in front of me. 'She would sit aside and let me run around, building sandcastles and collecting shells. Although I collected more bottle caps and snails than actual shells.'

I heard him chuckle softly next to me at the last part.
'Do you miss her?'

'I barely remember her.' I admit. 'I only remember certain parts about her. Food she cooked. The song she sang me to sleep with. Not much else. I don't even remember the colour of her hair anymore.'

'But I do remember watching her die. I can still feel her blood and tears on me. I remember her holding me until she took her last breath.' The waves I was watching became a bit blurry with the tears in my eyes

'You saw her die?' He leaned a bit towards me, looking at me

'It was just a random day, and we were asleep when someone broke into our home. She got in the way of whoever it was, and he stabbed her to death as she was protecting me with her body.' I sniffle. 'She used herself as a shield to protect me. And I couldn't see a thing because it was pitch dark. I only felt it. I can still hear her screams as he stabbed her repeatedly.'

He was silent for a bit, letting me get it all out. 'Is that why you're afraid of dark?'

I nodded, wiping the tears away from my face. 'Every time I find myself in the darkness, I'm afraid to open my eyes and see something like that again. The panic and fear take over in an instant. I've been trying to get over it for years, but I can't seem to do it.'

'I saw my mother die, too.'

'What?' I turned to him to see him looking at the sea

'My father stabbed her just before he tried to kill me. He was always a lowlife, but he tried to get into a cartel, and his initiation was to kill his family. He stabbed her, but he didn't kill her. He let her suffer, gurgling on her own blood. And then he tried to get rid of me. That obviously didn't work.' He scoffed a little. 'But I didn't only kill him that night. I killed her as well. She was suffering, and no one could save her. I couldn't watch her suffer anymore, so I took the knife and stabbed her through the heart to stop her from suffering.'

'Oh my God.' I whispered, covering my mouth with both hands

'This is the knife that took my mother's life.' He pulled out a knife from his pocket, one I haven't seen before. It was stained with old blood, like he never cleaned it. 'I'm gonna use it to kill the man whose fault it was that she died.'

'You know who that man is?'

'Isui.' He spat the name out with disgust. 'He even had the nerve to take me in after they both died. He taught me how to use them. Well, he taught me basics. I learned the rest on my own.'

'Hold on, that man taught you?' I am so confused

'After my parents died, he took me in, pretending to feel for my loss. He said he was a friend of my mother's. I was only 12, so I had no idea what was going on, but I had no one and nowhere to go. It was when I turned 16 that I learned that he was the one behind it all. I would have killed him if his men didn't almost kill me. But I did give him a nice beauty mark.' He smiled a little

'Are you going to kill him?'

'I can't get close. He's been running from me for years. Every time I get close, he flakes. But over the years I've collected info on him, so I have a different plan.'

'What kind of plan?'

'He has a kid. Apparently a daughter he's been hiding. When I find her, he will get her in pieces. He always liked games. I hope he likes puzzles.'

I felt chills from the top to the bottom of my body. He meant every word. He's been thinking about this for god knows how long. But it is understandable. This man practically destroyed his life.

'Scared?' He looked at me, kind of smirking

'No. Never of you.' I hugged his arm, leaning my head on his shoulder

'What are you doing?' He sighed, but he didn't move away

I chose to ignore the questions because I didn't wanna be pushed away. 'Is this the reason why you're trying to destroy his trafficking ring?'

He froze for a second, and it looked like he even stopped breathing.
'How do you know that?'

'I heard you guys. I didn't mean to, but I do live in the same house.'

'Listen to me.' He turned to me, grabbing my face from both sides, staring into my eyes. 'You never heard a thing. Do you understand?'

'I didn't tell anyone but you.'

'I swear you have a death wish.' He exhaled loudly, letting go of me. 'But no. That is not why. He's selling and buying people. Mostly kids. Young girls.'

That was more than enough to understand what he meant. It's not just trafficking. It's prostitution as well.

'You just told me that I never heard a thing, and then you told me all this yourself. Why?'

'You already know. And I'm not going to kill you for it.'

'I knew you'd warm up to me.' I decided to tease him a bit, purely to switch from the subject

'I can still easily drown you. The water is only a few feet away.' He threatens, making me laugh a little

'I'm not gonna say a thing. I swear. And thank you. For everything.' I leaned into him, hugging him gently. I know that I'm about a few inches away from death, but I wouldn't mind dying if I get to hold him.

'You really need to stop doing this.' He scolds me

'Or you could just hug me back.' I argue, squeezing him tighter

'I can't wait till you leave the house.' He sighed and then surprised me by finally hugging me back, gently putting his arms around me.

I got embraced into his scent and his arms. I can hear his heart beating steadily against his chest. I just hope he can't feel mine because it's racing right now.

I squealed a little, then giggled, all happy he finally higged me back.

'You hugged me.' I giggle, teasing him

'I've been told to relax. That's what I'm doing.' He said it, then hugged me a bit tighter, leaning his cheek on my head

Both my heart and my brain are reading into this so much, but I can't help it. I've fallen for him.