18 | The Bridal Mehndi

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Hooriya

"This is pure hypocrisy!" I cried out. "She made sure I ate and drank plenty of liquids, but she couldn't do the same for herself!"

"Hooriya." Papa's tone was full of disapproval as he looked at me.

"Hoor's not wrong though, is she?" Rohaan added, giving a one-shouldered shrug with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Hoor Appi, you could have looked after her!" Arsalan's tone was uncharacteristically full of accusation, as his protectiveness over Mama began to shine through.

I blinked, taken aback by his words. I wasn't offended; in fact, I had just realised how right he was.

"Arsu, don't." Sitting on the living room sofa, Mama shook her head at him. "I'm not Hoor's responsibility. I should know better." 

"Of course you are! As we grow up, parents become our responsibility!" Arsalan argued.

Although dehydration was the main cause behind Mama's poor condition, she'd had other tests done as well, to rule out any other underlying causes.

I felt guilty. Arsu was right. I had been too focused on myself to take care of Mama properly. I sat down beside her. "I'm sorry, Mama." 

"Hoor, it wasn't your fault." My mother reassured me. "I'm not yet at a stage where I'm incapable of taking care of myself. I showed negligence towards my own health, and that's on me, not you." She stood up. "I need rest. I still feel jet lagged."

"Okay, well we're going out for pizza." Haya informed her. "Me, Hoor, Ro and Arsu. It's been a long time." 

"Haya, you should be resting your foot." Mama frowned at her.

"I'm not going salsa dancing, Mama. I'm just going for a pizza, and Arsu will be driving." Haya replied. "Let's go, Hoor."

The four of us headed out for a sibling dinner after a long time.

*

We walked down the street past the various restaurants and cafés as we headed towards our favourite pizza place. There hadn't been a parking too close, and we had suggested going elsewhere, for Haya's sake, but she had said, and I quote, 'athletes don't fear physical endeavours'. I really had to hand it to her and her fitness, Ma Sha Allah. I get out of breath going up the stairs. 

We passed by a café and I froze in my track. I blinked repeatedly to make sure that I wasn't imagining things. Farhaan and Sophie standing face-to-face, clearly in the middle of a serious discussion. My heart sank a little, but before I let doubtful thoughts invade my mind, my practical side froze them in their place. I took my phone out and messaged him. I didn't want to do the cliché thing by testing his honesty, but I also wanted to stop any thoughts that would convert into suspicion. I didn't want to be that wife who doubted each and every action of her husband regarding his ex.

<Hooriya: What are you up to?>

I followed my siblings absent-mindedly. Please be honest with me, Farhaan. Please.

As the four of us sat at a table, ready to place our orders, the windchimes notification sound of my phone alerted me to a message. My fingers itched to immediately grab my phone, but I acted calm and composed, before I slowly picked the phone up as casually as if to see the time.

<Farhaan: I just met Sophie at a café. Just talking to her.>

I swallowed hard, my heart swelling up with happiness. His honesty was beautiful, refreshing. Instead of assuming I'd overreact and hiding it from me, he had told me the truth. I feel sometimes men underestimate a female's need for honesty. They have no idea how much it means to us.