58 | Highlands

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Haya

"I don't feel right about this either, my dear, but this is important too." Rebecca Khalla adjusted the drape of my sari, pinning it firmly.

Yes. I, Haya Rehan Tariq, was wearing a sari. This sari was from my wedding collection, purchased by Dado from one of the top designers of Pakistan. It was a beautiful ice blue colour, seeming created with delicate lace. The full-length blouse had sheer arms with hand-stitched floral patterns, which matched the design of the blouse. The end of my skirt, as well as the border of the drape had beautiful silver embroidery, not too heavy, but enough to categorise this outfit into formal/party wear.

 The end of my skirt, as well as the border of the drape had beautiful silver embroidery, not too heavy, but enough to categorise this outfit into formal/party wear

My hair was brushed back and pinned with long silver clips above my ears. With a light pastel shade of lipstick, and darker smokey-eyed make up, I was ready to attend my first dawat after my wedding.

We were going to the house of one of my father-in-law's cousins, the man he referred simply to as Shah Ji. 

Slipping my feet into silver high-heel sandals, I winced at my reflection in the mirror. Hoodies should become a thing for dawats!

Right now, I could very easily be mistaken for Hoor.

"Beautiful. May the Lord bless you, my dear." Rebecca Khalla whispered softly. "Now, let's go. I'm sure Aariz will be waiting very impatiently." She gave me a teasing smile.

When I came out, Aariz was in the foyer in his dark-grey suit and navy blue tie. He turned and looked at me, eyeing me from head to toe, then back. "Ma Sha Allah." A soft smile appeared on his face.

"I think that you're very cute, Ma Sha Allah. I think I have a crush on you."  The memory of his words made my cheeks warm up.

Aariz held out his hand for me and I took it.

"You two go ahead. I'll come with Abdullah Bhai." Rebecca Khalla told us.

"So," I said to Aariz once we were in his car alone. "Mentally prepare me. Should I be chilled, worried or nervous?" 

"They are nice people." He smiled at me. "Nothing to worry about." 

"Cool." 

We picked up some bakery items along the way, before driving to a different part of London.

Aariz parked outside a modest semi-detached house, with an immaculate front garden. A small brick wall lined the border and one of those classic English small gate opened up onto the stone-paved front path. 

Placing a hand on the small of my back, Aariz led me up the path. I walked very slowly as I wore high heels, and was not in the mood to fall onto my face.