19 | The Bride

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Hooriya

I stared in horror at my father, who had his arms crossed over his chest as he questioned Farhaan's presence at the female-only mehndi event. "Papa, it's only family in there now. Everyone else has gone. He came after the event ended."

Papa looked at Farhaan wordlessly for a few seconds.

Why am I feeling scared? Farhaan is my husband, not boyfriend. Astaghfirullah!

"Rehan!" Mama's voice came from behind us, much to my relief. "Kyun tang kar rahe hain bachon ko?"

*"Why are you troubling the kids?"

Papa maintained his strict expressions, while I looked at Mama for help as she stopped beside him.

"Rehan." She poked a finger on his upper arm. "Stop it."

"And where do you think you are taking her?" Papa continued, his gaze remaining on Farhaan. 

I wanted the ground to swallow me up.

Farhaan looked unfazed. "I haven't really decided yet, to be honest." 

Mama was clearly fighting back a smile. 

"Maybe somewhere in Asia?" Farhaan shrugged.

I glanced up at him wide-eyed as Mama laughed.

"I have to respect you for your confidence." Papa told him, a small smile appearing on his face. "Just make sure that wherever you take her, she's happy, healthy and safe." 

Farhaan glanced down at me. "Anyone who signs a Nikah nama is basically making those vows in front of Allah. A lot of people forget that, but I most certainly won't." 

Papa nodded. "I expect you to remember that even decades from now." He gestured towards Farhaan's car. "You're cleared to go." 

Mama just shook her head at him, still smiling. "You're too much." 

"He married my daughter. He has to face some intimidation from me." My father told her.

"Not that he looked very intimidated. He knows he's her husband and you can't do anything about it." Mama laughed again. "Now let them go and come with me. There's a lot of work to be done. You have relaxed enough." 

"He deserves to relax." I spoke up in his defence. "He is giving his Hoor away. It's not an easy task." 

"Kabhi maa ko bhi hamdardi dikha diya karo, Hooriya." Mama feigned disapproval.

*"Sometimes show your mother some sympathy too, Hooriya." 

I smiled sheepishly at her.

*

Farhaan and I drove through the dark countryside and I relaxed back in the comfortable seat of the car. "Where are you taking me?" The car had generally been silent apart from the sound of my bangles as I adjusted my outfit or dupatta.

"Wait and watch." He replied, simply.

He drove up a hill and parked at the top. The countryside was dark in general, but the moon watched over it,  proudly shining it line accompanied by the scattered glittering stars that were blatantly obvious away from the city. Turning the ignition off, he opened the glass sunroof of the car so that we could see the stars directly above us. Taking his seat belt off, he leaned over me and pressed a button at the side of my seat so that my seat reclined. "The bride should relax on the eve before her wedding."