39 | Flashbacks

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

**UNCONDITIONALLY SPECIAL**

Anabia Rehan

AROUND TWENTY-ONE YEARS AGO

"When is the baby due?" The dreaded question was directed at me by a passenger.

And me, feeling extra sarcastic during my second pregnancy, had to reply, "What? I'm not pregnant!" I even acted like I was offended.

The blush that crept up the lady's cheeks almost made me giggle.

After my shift, I headed into the office to grab my things from my locker.

"All good, Anabia?" My long-term colleague Raj asked as I entered the staff room. He was in the middle of his shift, still doing full time hours.

I had changed to part-time hours ever since I'd realised that this pregnancy was harder than my first one with Hoor and Haya. "Yes, can't wait to get home."

"Ahh...home. A place I only see in dreams." He grinned as he put on his yellow hi-vis jacket. "I am going to the ramp. Apparently short of staff there so I need to overlook things on our Singapore arrival."

"Good luck. I don't envy you." I smiled. As he headed out, I opened my locker door and something fell to the ground. I groaned. Being in my seventh month, it wasn't easy to bend down...almost impossible.

"Let me help you." A check-in agent had entered the staff room and had seen my dilemma. She reached down and picked up...a doll that was barely bigger than the size of my palm. She raised both eyebrows at me.

"My daughter gave this to me." I explained. "In case I get bored at work." Haya's sweet gesture made me smile.

The woman laughed. "Aww, so cute. How old is she?"

"Three." 

"Aww, the cute yet keeps-you-on-the-edge stage." 

"Very perfectly described." I laughed as well. I slipped the doll into my purse and locked my locker. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"See you."

I headed out, my legs aching. Although I tended to sit in my office for most of the shift, I still had to move around during check-in. It wasn't an easy task and sometimes  I wondered how pregnancy had been easier for me with twins than with a single baby?

My phone rang and I rummaged through my purse as I walked. "Assalam Alaikum."

"Walaikum Assalam. I'm outside. Come." Rehan's voice came through, and in the background, I heard the giggling and chatter of my twin daughters.