33 | For Each Other

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Once again, thank you storiesbyzainab!

Hooriya

My mother had told us about our two Khallas, Mariyam and Fiza, but she had told us that due to a difficult family history, they didn't get along with Mama and Saim Mamu. Knowing my mother and her unconditional love for her twin brother, I didn't think that the sourness with her relationship with her sisters was her fault.

"My father- our father- cheated on your Nano." Mariyam Aunty told me as we sat in the common area of the shelter. I didn't want to refer to her as 'Khalla'. The relationship of a Khalla was pure and beautiful, almost maternal. I didn't even know this woman. "He then married my mother and had me and Fiza."

It suddenly made even more sense why my maternal grandfather was rarely discussed. All we'd known was that he had passed away when Haya and I were newborns.

"I wish I had something to give you. I'm interacting with my niece for the first time." Tears filled her eyes and she reached forward, as if to place her hand on my cheek. 

Without even thinking, I stood up. "It's okay. I don't need anything."

We only had biological uncles and non-biological Khalla who seemed almost biological. There must be a reason Mama rarely talked about her half-sisters, and I trusted her reasons. I didn't want to get involved in this. I had too much going on right now to fall into the trap of long-lost relatives.

"Wait." She grabbed my wrist as she stood up as well. "Is that girl... is she with your brother?" 

My eyes widened as I realised that this random Khalla might have witnessed the family drama that had occurred right after me and Haya had almost gone run over. "Khalla or not, with all due respect, that's none of your business." 

Her face hardened, but she didn't say anything.

I turned and left the room, feeling shaken. I was not having a good feeling about this!

*

Aizah

I headed towards the resort dining hall for lunch. Dressed in a brown shirt that was shorter from the front and lower from the back, along with floral trousers with grey and cream patterns, I was ready to take a break from another day of meetings and discussions.

 Dressed in a brown shirt that was shorter from the front and lower from the back, along with floral trousers with grey and cream patterns, I was ready to take a break from another day of meetings and discussions