Chapter 3: Discomfort

TW: HOMOPHOBIA

EXER

David and I are hiding in the broom closet, avoiding Wendy, the teacher who runs detention. Day and I are trying not to make any sound as we hide in this closet, but it may as well have been made of glass because Wendy flung the door open and grabbed our ears. "Campbell! Miller! What are you doing out of class?! Detention, both of you!"

"Oh but Miss, football practice is today!" David whimpers. "Well I guess you'll have to miss practice Mr. Miller! Detention!" She then dragged us out of the closet and into Physics. "These two were skipping class! Here take their sorry asses!" And she shoved us into the class and slammed the door.

Everyone stared as we sat down and continued to stare. We started listening to the teacher when the girl in front of me put a note on my desk. I opened it up and read it. 'You and David meet us after class in the auditorium please!' I slipped the note to Day, and after he read it, he shrugged and passed it back.

DAVID

Exer and I walked to the auditorium, the halls empty other than a couple stragglers. "Didn't the bell just ring, where is everyone?" Exer questioned
"I dunno." I responded quite blankly. I was worried about how my father would react to me missing football.

As we walked into the auditorium, we realized where everyone went. They were all in here, and shut up the minute we walked in. I spotted Brenda and Ron in the crowd and they looked just as confused as us, and Exer appeared to be looking at Pamela and Jackson. A random girl on stage beckoned us towards her, and we walked up to the stage, and then onto it to get to her.

She handed Exer a microphone and cleared her throat. "So you may be wondering why you are here." Exer looked at me, then back at her and nodded. "Well we want to know if you two are dating, after all, David you kissed Exer this morning." There were murmurs of eww and uh huhs in the crowd as my eyes widened. Brenda and Ron looked petrified while Jackson looked shocked and Pam looked worried.

I took the microphone from Exer before he could speak and said "Well Ricky and Marty wouldn't let us go until we kissed each other, and it isn't exactly like anyone bothered helping us! Is this why you are here, to see if we are dating when we aren't! You guys are so damn drama hungry!"

Everyone stared and then murmurs of agreements slipped out. "Well good! You can leave now!" Smiled the girl. I glared at her and then the crowd. I grabbed Exer's hand and stormed off the stage and into the hallway.
"Day!" I ignored Exer. "Day! Stop!" He tugged at my hand but I kept walking.

"Day what's wrong?!" Exer pulled his hand out of my grip and stared at me. I turned around. "Do you know how scary that was? Imagine if they didn't believe us Ex. And I am positive some don't! We could have been bullied, beaten up, humiliated, cat-called, and tons of other shit! And I would be, I AM terrified of the consequences of what I did! Exer, it may seem like they believe us, but one day they are our best friends, the next they are not!!!" I was on the verge of tears.

 And I am positive some don't! We could have been bullied, beaten up, humiliated, cat-called, and tons of other shit! And I would be, I AM terrified of the consequences of what I did! Exer, it may seem like they believe us, but one day they are ou...

image from book

Exer looked like he was about to cry, which startled me, and then I felt bad. "Hey, I didn't mean it Exer, it'll be okay..." Exer looked at me with a sad realization on his face. "But you did mean it. You are right, but we can stick through it together, come on let's go to class."
Exer then smiled sadly at me, outstretching his hand. I looked at it and took it, and we went to all the rest of our classes for today.

©2023, All Rights Reserved