Chapter 36: Heart of Glass

BRENDA
I was lying in my bed miserably, hugging a pillow to my chest and listening to the record Ken got me in sorrow. As Blondie rang through the air, I squeezed my eyes shut and pushed my face farther into the pillow. Guilt was twisting in my gut like a knife, ready to get violently yanked out at any time just to leave a worse ache.

I scrunched myself up and continued suffocating the poor pillow I was hugging. My throat ached as I thought of what happened yesterday, and I glanced at his bandana on my end table. Maybe I should call him. But I realized that even though I gave Ken my number, he had never given me his own.

"Ughhh!" I stuffed my face into the pillow before screaming at the top of my lungs. When my voice finally gave out I just felt worse than I had before.

'Once I had love and it was a gas,'

Tears leaked from my eyes.

'Soon turned out, had a heart of glass.'

Ugh! What am I doing, lying in bed and moping?! This is not how I was going to solve this problem! He'll like me again eventually, I can win Ken back! But the first step is getting out of bed.

I sat up, turned off my record player, put the vinyl in it's case and placed it on my shelf before standing up and stretching with a groan. After wiping my face roughly with my forearm, I applied a coral colored lipstick to my own, eyeshadow, blush, mascara, the usual.

Brenda breathed out before skipping over to her closet to pick an outfit. After careful consideration, I finally picked a coquetteish dress before also pulling on a Victorian style hat with a long matching ribbon which I tied around my neck. The dress was the most delicate rose color, with creamy lace and ruffles, and not to mention the tiny bows it was plastered with.

I ran my fingers through my sunset hair before trotting down the stairs and out the front door. I didn't really know where Ken lived, but I knew where Jackson did. So, like any average person, I made my way to the Smith's house.

JOLIE
"Oh Hun, it'll be okay."
I was sitting crisscross on the floor next to Ken, patting his back gingerly. Timothy glanced at Ken and back at me, concern laced across his pale face. Ken was looking distraught and tired, bags under his eyes and a slight frown on his face.

Ken had a stray couch cushion hugged to his chest, and he was munching on a couple Bagel Bites that Tiá had thrown into the oven. He looked gloomy and wasn't cracking jokes, something I'd never thought I'd see.

Jackson was going on a rant to Ken, saying Ken deserved better and that you couldn't trust the Reds and how he could land someone better than Brenda, but Jackson's consulting didn't really change Ken's expression, he still looked upset.

A rapid knocking sound came from the front door from down the hallway.
"I'll get it." Jackson offered, bouncing up.
"Probably the Blockbuster guy telling me to return The Shining. I'm not going to though!" He added with a smile and finger guns, which in turn caused Ken to raise an eyebrow and sigh.

Jackson looked disappointed and walked down the hallway. I heard him open the door and then Brenda's voice. I saw Ken's eyes widen, and he scrambled to his feet and rushed over to the wall to hear better. Timothy and I followed in suit.

"Hey Jackson! This might be a stupid question, but I was wondering if you know where Ken lives? I need to talk to him."
Brenda sounded hopeful.
"Uh... Sorry, I don't."
Jackson mumbled, and I assumed he was avoiding eye contact.
"Is he in there?"
"No."
"I see Jolie's bracelet kit. If Jolie is here so is Timothy, therefore so is Ken. Ken?"

Damn that girl was smart. I heard Timothy groan and I put my hand to my temple in irritation. Ken kind of shifted from beside me and then he walked out into the hallway.

KEN
I made my way down the hall, and I saw Brenda smile in relief and Jackson raise an eyebrow.
"Uh, hey."
I rubbed the back of my neck and avoided eye contact. Jackson just kind of shimmied down the hall, and I could tell he and my other friends whispering to each other.

"Ken, can we talk?" She asked, eyes wide and hopeful. She looked really cute in her outfit. Like a life sized doll. I glanced around absentmindedly.

"What is there to talk about? You just led me on."
I mumbled, crossing my arms.
She looked guilty and back down at her hands.
"Yes, at the beginning I did. But Ken... I've started liking you. Truly. Even if you don't like me back can't we stay friends? Ken you're so sweet and I really like you. A lot."

Her eyes were pleading and she clasped her hands together. I faltered and looked at her.
"Sure, we can be friends again." I smiled gingerly at her, and her face lit up. She went to kiss me on the cheek but I turned my face away.

"No, friends. Not dating. Maybe we can go on a date some other time in the future, but I still feel upset about that."
Her face fell but she quickly nodded.
"Of course, yeah, okay."
She smiled at me and I sighed in relief. I'm glad we were in speaking terms again.

 I'm glad we were in speaking terms again

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

Image from book, edited by me.

She turned and waved.
"Bye Ken! See you at school!"

She exclaimed before walking away from the house, bouncing with each step.
As I watched her leave, I couldn't stop a smile spreading across my face.

©2024, All Rights Reserved

I'm going to start putting memes at the end of chapters, so enjoy!

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

Not mine, found on Pinterest.

It's Gonna Take A Little Time... A Little Time To Think Things Over...जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें