Chapter 58: Puppets and Strings

BRENDA
I was still pondering about the clothing scrap when I entered English. There was some sort of commotion around Ken and I's desk. I pushed through the crowd to see a boy who looked like a Hollywood movie star standing next to the desk, and Ken, sitting in his chair.

"Sorry Elijah, I'm glad you're here, but you can't sit with me. This is where my class-wife sits!"
Ken said matter-of-factly, shutting his eyes briefly before spotting me and smiling.
"Speaking of which, she's right there!"
I looked awkwardly and a bit suspiciously at the Elijah kid, who went absolutely maroon the second he saw me. Alright, weird.

I sat promptly next to Ken and made a shooing motion with my hands. Soon the crowd dispersed and Ricky and Marty came up behind Elijah and dragged him to sit with them. When I looked back at my friend, I noticed him fiddling with something and I squealed immediately.

"Ken! Is that me?!"
He went pink, eyes wide as he looked at me. The second I nodded I scooped her up and raised the hideous puppet up. It was an orange fleece puppet with big eyes and the softest hair I had EVER felt.

I squinted at it.
"It's so... It's so ugly! I love it, thank you Ken!!!"
I squealed and hugged her to my chest.
"She's Brendette."
He rubbed the back of his neck in a flustered sort of way, avoiding eye contact with a small smile on his face.
I cooed and touched the little antenna of the puppet.
I noticed him pushing something little towards me. A comb?
"So you can brush her hair."
He explained, glancing at me quickly before looking at the ceiling.

I squeaked happily and slid the brush through the hair, making it even softer. He had even gotten my hair flip right!
When the teacher entered and started teaching I was still pouring over the puppet, touching the hair and fuzz around the neck. Ken looked very happy every time I looked at him out of the corner of my eyes. I could tell if he didn't know if I genuinely liked it or was just protecting his feelings. Spoiler alert, I LOVE her.

It's the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me!
"Miss Miller, what is that? Put it away."
The teacher sighed. I jumped up however and thrust mini me in her face.
"But look at her, isn't she rad?! And her hair is so soft, go on, feel it!"

She sighed and touched the hair and than blinked.
"Oh, you're right, she is soft. Whatever Miss Miller, go sit down and put it away."

After class, Ken was walking me to my next when he spotted David. He has a tired, dull look in his eyes. That reminded me of what I found! I was about to tell him when Ken invaded David's personal space to hug him, much to David's dismay.

David elbowed Ken away, glaring, before looking at me.
"What's up?" He drawled, voice blank as his eyes. I opened my purse and pointed. I had decided not to touch it that much so it could be used as evidence. David raised an eyebrow and looked confused when he realized what it was.
His head snapped up and eyes met mine, staring.
"You're fucking with me."
I smiled and shook my head.
"Nope. I found it on the side of the road. I think Exer got taken away in a truck, tried to get out, tore his suit, and got captured again. Do you know what this means? We can find him. We can actually find him!"

I squealed, bouncing on the heels of my feet. David stared at me, then Ken, then me again before throwing his arms around my neck in a hug.
"He's alive, and we'll figure out where he is, I know we will. Even if it takes a hundred years I won't stop looking."
David murmured into my shoulder, squeezing me tight. Ken hovered next to us, and the other people in the hall gave us skeptical looks, most likely because we were upset. But a happy form of upset. A hopeful feeling.