Chapter 27: Casey Would Waltz with the Strawberry Blonde

EXER
We got off the stage, crowns on our heads as David carried a bouquet in hand, while a plastic scepter was in mine. We were both snickering about the pasta thing and thought it was over before a spotlight shone on us.

"Time for the king and queen's dance!" Jolie exclaimed, hyping the crowd up as I stared at David, blushing. We awkwardly took each other's hands. "Hey man, no homo." I practically yelled so everyone could hear me. The crowd giggled at this and David squeezed my hand in a 'good job' kind of way.

The music began to play as we swayed, and I realized with a jolt what it was.

It's gonna take a little time... A little time to think things over... Gotta read between the lines... In case I need it when I'm older~

In all my life, there's been heartache and pain, I don't know if I can face it again, change this lonely heart~

I wanna know what love is...
I want you to show me...
I want to know what love is...

David and I spun slowly, and I twirled the taller boy. I couldn't help flashing him a small smile. No one was judging us. No one was saying anything. They thought this was a gag vote, and didn't think it was serious, but as I spun my golden boy again, I knew no matter what anyone says or does, I'll always love David.

It felt like this was normal in the moment, swaying to the music with David as others joined in. The couples swayed in the background, girls and boys twirling, dancing, blushing, with an occasional kiss.

"Oh my God." David looked at me, a mortified look on his face. "What?" I asked, confused as we continued to dance. "Ronald is in the soundbooth with Timothy. He knew this song reminded me of you, and knew it was your favorite because when we stopped talking for a bit, that song played on my radio and I turned it off because it reminded me of you."

David sighed in irritation but didn't look that upset, in fact he looked amused. And sure enough, when we glanced at the booth, we saw Ronald's smug ass face staring back, a wide grin noticeable against his pale skin. I looked at David, who looked at me, and we both burst into giggles as the song ended, and David was laughing so hard he was clutching me to prevent falling over, practically strangling me in the process.

A couple of people gave us weird looks, but they shrugged it off and continued swaying to the beat. Once the song was over the crowd cheered and more songs were providing the crowd with an extra dopamine level. I leaned over to David and whispered: "Let's get out of here." to him.

He nodded, and pulling his hand we slipped away unnoticed by the crowd and into the empty hallway. Grinning I pulled David's hand and begin to run down the hallway. He laughed as he broke into a run beside me. We ended up at the opposite side of the school, stopping to catch our breath.

"That was fun!" David laughed, hands on his knees as he regained the previously lost oxygen into his lungs. I chuckled at his expression and pulled David into the nearest room. I recognized it as the auditorium. I bolted up to the stage and pulled David up. It was dark and empty, but I turned on the backstage light which helped us see better.

"Look Day, it's my costume for Lost Lady!" I exclaimed, pointing at a white suit. David laughed. "How could I forget? You were pretty cute as Dalton, but honestly, I think you as Mr. Magic is much hotter." David teased, making me grin slyly and my face flush.

"Sooo... What do you want to do?" David asked, grinning and waggling his eyebrows at me in a jokingly flirty way.

KEN
"Casey would waltz with a strawberry blonde and the band played on, he'd glide 'cross the floor with the girl he adored, and the band played on, his brain was so loaded it nearly exploded, the poor girl would shake with alarm. He'd ne'er leave the girl with the strawberry curl, and the band played on!" I sang melodically as I twirled Brenda before pulling her closer.

"Aw gee Ken, that's depressing. What is it?" Brenda mused as we swayed. I chuckled. "You've never heard it? My mother is very, very old fashioned. She has records from the nineteen-tens to forties. She has Come Josephine In My Flying Machine by Billy Murray and Ada Jones, Run Rabbit Run! by Flanagan and Allen, and the one I just sang was The Band Played On by Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians. Why, never heard it?" I told her, than asked with a slight smile.

Brenda blinked. "No I don't know about it? What's the song about, sounds depressing."

I chuckled and shrugged. "I dunno, I would assume it's about the Titanic sinking or the Casey guy going mad, but who knows." I spun her around once more before dipping Brenda.

She laughed and when I straightened back up, she smiled at me. "Ken, you're very sweet. I don't know what it is, but something's different about you then the other boys." She batted her eyelashes as she said that, and I gave her an embarrassed grin. "I hope that's a good thing."

"I'm pretty sure it's a good thing..." She whispered as she leaned up to kiss me, eyes shut. I blushed and stopped her. "The last time we kissed I almost killed myself and you by falling through ice." I grinned awkwardly. She giggled, but looked a little disappointed. Wait disappointed?! Oh god, she might actually, genuinely be into me! ME! Hell yeah!

DAVID
I saw Exer grin deviously after I flushed from my comment. He glanced around playfully. "Well... I don't see anyone..." He mused, holding my hand and moving closer. I blushed harder and looked away. "Come on dude, we're in school. We can't kiss in school." I muttered, leaning against the wall.

"Well, I can give you an A+ experience." Exer winked, putting his scepter down and pulling me closer. "Did I tell you how hot you look with that crown?" He teased, and I covered my maroon face, embarrassed. "Oh shut it dwarf." I teased right back, and he pretended to look offended. "Well, alright She-ra." And with those words, he kissed me.

I kissed him back, ecstacy flowing through my veins. I felt his lips move with mine before he parted from my lips after what felt like over an hour when in reality it was a minute or two. He chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck. "Well... That was nice." He grinned. I nodded, too flushed to say anything else.

I leaned in and kissed the amber eyed teenager and wrapped my arms around his neck, running a hand through his fluffy hair. Exer kissed me back and put his arms around my waist, pushing me against the wall, and then we heard something.

Exer broke the kiss and glanced around, letting me go. I strained my ears and heard a muffled noise coming from the auditorium seats. Exer and I snuck over to the edge of the curtain and peeked out to see two people kissing.

"Who are they?" I whispered to Exer, who shrugged. One silhouette had long wavy hair, and the other had short hair. They were kissing and then the short haired one tugged the long hair of the other, who pulled away and yelled: "Ow Ricky! That hurt asshole!" The uncanny and shrill voice of Marty jumped and bounced around the auditorium.

I looked at Exer in shock, who stared back, and we both broke into a silent fit of laughter. I pulled his hand to the backstage fire exit and we ran out into the cold night air, laughing.

©2023, All Rights Reserved