Chapter 48: Puppet Ken the Great and Wise

EXER
Dad approached us, and I felt an increasing sense of anxiety. I could feel David stiffen next to me, and before I could even speak, Dad wrapped us both into a hug.

"I'm happy you felt like you could tell me this son. I love you kids, and I'm proud of you both."

And as he hugged us and said the last few words, David burst into tears and a couple trickled down my cheeks as I squeezed Dad back. After a couple seconds Dad sat in between us both and had one arm wrapped around us both.

Dad looked at David and smiled at him.
"You may have lost your real father, but I hope I can stand as your father in law in life."

Dad looked proud as he said this, and I could see David go red, and I felt my own face heat up. I elbowed my father and chuckled, wiping my eyes.

"Dad, we haven't even gone to college yet!"
I mused, laughing. He smiled.
"Well, I can wait."

KEN
A

s I sat in my bed, questioning my life decisions, I had to stop and think for a second. Did I do the wrong thing yesterday? Geez, Brenda will never like me now. Not that she would in the first place. At least my mom was in a good mood. That was really rare for her to say the least.

"If you're lost you can look and you will find me, time after time. If you fall I will catch you I'll be waiting, time after time."

I sang along to the radio quietly as I adjusted myself in my bed and sewed an orange puppet, adding a bit of pink to the lips and glueing on a bow. It was supposed to be Brenda. I grinned at it. After cleaning up the mess, I took out all my puppets, which consisted of:

Little Jack
Mini Pamela
Puppet Ken the Great and Wise (Very creative, I know.)
A

nd now:
Brendette!

So I put Brendette on my hand and did my impression of Brenda.

"Oh Puppet Ken the Great and Wise, thank you for saving me from the dragon!"

I held up my puppet and had him hop over to Brendette.

"Why thank you beautiful! Your hair looks nice today!"
"Oh thank you! Your... Uh... Greatness is wonderful today!"
"Thank you!"

I had puppet Ken kiss puppet Brenda's hand before straightening up. Brendette giggled and started swooning over the wonderful appeal of Puppet Ken the Great and Wise. Who wouldn't? Probably real Brenda.

"I'd never kiss you to make you feel like you're actually worth something just to tell you on our first date and you up and left because I broke your heart and was an utter traitor and went to the dark side! I'd never do that!"

Brendette squeaked to puppet Ken and he responded with a:

"Of course you wouldn't darling!"

And then I them go in for a kiss before the door flung open revealing the real Brenda. I jumped and both puppets flew off of my hands. Brendette hit the floor and Puppet Ken the Great and Wise landed in my lap with Little Jack and Mini Pamela.

Brenda noticed my shock and she giggled before noticing the puppet and scooping it up. Uh oh. She's going to think I'm such a dimwit! Ughhh.

However Brenda flopped onto my bed and held up Brendette.

"Is she me?"
Brenda batted her eyes and I nodded sheepishly. Brenda smiled, eyes lighting up.

"How cute! Oh! You have Pamela, and Jackson, and you!"

I nodded meekly and she smiled before placing the puppet on her own hand and talking.

"Hi Ken! How are you?"
She opened the puppet's mouth, but wasn't very good at doing the puppetry. I snatched Brendette and grinned proudly.

"Allow moi madam!"
I put Brendette on my hand and my puppet of myself before speaking. Brenda watched in interest.

"Hello Brendette!"
"Oh good day Puppet Ken the Great and Wise!"

Brenda let out a snort at that.

"Here let me walk over here-"
"No."
"Why?"
"I'm in a box."
Puppet Ken looked confused and glanced around.
"Huh?"
"A box. I'm in a box."
"There is no box!"
"Yes there is."
"No there isn't!"

Puppet Ken the Great and Wise walked over and tapped on the air.

"So there is."
"See, I told y-"

I was interrupted by the most unearthly sound I have ever heard. Brenda was laughing, and I almost fell off the bed in surprise. It wasn't that laugh she normally did, it sounded like she was possessed or something! Her laugh was a mix of farm animals and aliens, and she was trying to hold it back but couldn't.

Did she need an exorcism? Should I call someone? Nope, she's calming down.
Brenda wrapped her arms around me in a hug, still wheezing slightly.

"You good Barbie?"
"I've never been better!"
"You sure?"
"Yup!"

She let go of me and pulled on my arm, standing up.
"Let's go stargazing tonight."

I felt my eyes widen happily.
"Really?!"
"Really."

Brenda let go of my arm and was about to leave, when she turned, leaned down to my hand, and kissed Puppet Ken the Great and Wise on the cheek, leaving a cherry mark before waving and leaving.

Wow, what a woman.

©2024, All Rights Reserved.

I'll just drop this art I did and leave it here

Art by me.

Original from book, edited by me