Chapter 37: Shower Thoughts

DAVID
On Monday, after school, Exer finally got out of the hospital. They figured out that something was causing him to vomit every time he saw himself, and they assumed that some sort of chemical from the mirror cleaner was causing that, so they had let him leave.

When I saw him walk into the café with the assistance of Ron, my heart hammered hopefully. I noticed the look on his face, and he must still feel terrible. Exer had bags under his slightly closed eyes, and his skin was slightly grey. My best friend's hair was disheveled and he looked tired as hell, especially judging the fact that the only thing that appeared to keep him standing was Ron.

Just looking at Exer's determination to just simply hang out with us pained me. I stood up, walked over, and wrapped one of my arms around him.

"Come on Ex, how about we go to your house so you can rest."

Ron and I hauled Exer back to his house and brought him upstairs. Harry was on a business trip and Lucy was sleeping on the bed in Mr. Campbell's room, occasionally purring. Ron heaved Exer onto his bed before looking at his watch.

"I go. I need to help Smiths at store." Ronald explained, looking sorry before nodding and leaving the room. After a couple seconds the front door slammed. It was just Exer and I.

He sniffed, blinking blearily with a queasy look on his face. I pushed him farther onto the bed, he was right on he edge. I felt his face and he was very warm.

"Do you want to take a cold shower? It'll probably help you feel better. That's what my mom did for me when I was little."

Exer looked at me and nodded.
"Okay."

I grabbed some fresh clothes for my best friend and put them on his sink before turning the shower on to cold. I made sure it had a little warmth so it wasn't like ice. I turned the fan on and sat on the edge of the sink. As the sound of the shower filled the room I got a flashback.

When I was eight, my father had told me to practice the junior kids football though I felt ill. After a couple hours, I had felt so terrible that I practically had to drag myself home. Dad hadn't batted an eye, but Mom had scooped me up even though I was too old for that.

She ran me a bath and gave me a freezie pop to help cool me down. Once the bath was done, she had brought me to my and Brenda's shared room, sat on my bed, put me on her lap, and brushed my hair while singing along to the record player with me.

My eyes teared up as I thought of that memory before wiping my eyes and walking back to Exer's room. He had some fresh clothes on his lap and held them out to me meekly.

"I thought you might want to change out of your school clothes."
He smiled sheepishly at me, and it looked like it was taking all his effort to keep his eyes open.

I took them and smiled. Then I helped Ex up and led him to the bathroom. He entered the bathroom, and I stayed in the hallway. I was halfway through shutting the door when Exer put his hand on the doorframe to stop me.

"Do you think... you could help me..?"

I felt my face grow very hot very quickly.
"O-oh! Uh... Yeah."

I walked into the bathroom and shut the door. I put the borrowed clothes in the sink. Exer fumbled with his shirt and after a couple seconds he looked up at me for help.

I lifted his shirt off, face growing hotter. He smiled at me before shimmying his socks off. Exer unbuttoned his pants and glanced back at me.

"Day? You might want to cover your eyes." He suggested, a knowing smile spreading across his face. I quickly clasped my hands over my face, squeezing my eyes shut.

I heard him fumbling around before adjusting the shower curtain and climbing in.

"You can look now."

I heard his voice mumble before he yelped.
"Are you okay?!" I asked frantically, uncovering my eyes. I saw him stumble from behind the shower curtain.

"Yeah, I just didn't realize how cold it was!" He called back, and I couldn't help giggling. After a couple seconds, he started chuckling too, and then we were both laughing. It was nice. Then he burst into a coughing fit before shifting around.

I sighed quietly. I looked at the cozy clothes he offered me and then at the shower.
"Hey, I'm going to change, no looking."
I called and I heard a grunt of affirmation after a couple seconds.

I pulled my shirt off, than my socks and shorts. I reached over and pulled on his sweatpants and tank top before sitting on the sink and kicking my feet.

The shower turned off with a shing noise and the curtains ruffled. He peeked his head around the sheet of plastic and saw me sitting there.

"I need to get dressed, could you hand me my stuff?"

He asked. I nodded swiftly before picking up his clothes and handing it to him. He gladly took them and after a couple ruffles from the curtains, he limped out of the tub in his pajamas. He yawned, and it was in a very cute way. I took his hand as he rubbed his eyes blearily and I led him to his room.

I pushed him gently onto his bed before turning to sit in a chair. To my surprise however, I felt Exer grab my hand weakly and tug lightly on it.

"Could you stay over here?"
He asked, eyes pleading. I nodded feeling my face go pink.

Image from book, edited by me

I went to the other side of the bed and slipped in before pulling his blankets over us both. Exer shifted so he was leaning on me in a hug from. I smiled slightly as we lay there in the dark of the room, and I felt protected. I hoped Exer would feel better. I think he was, Jackson had stopped that creepy smile thing and was acting normal again. It must have been the diary, or something to do with the magic. It always is.

As we lay there, something occurred to me. Did Exer actually like me? Or was it just that diary?

©2024, All Rights Reserved