Chapter 6: Tag, You're It

TW: KIDNAPPING AND A REALLY SMALL AMOUNT OF CHILD ABUSE

EXER

My heart raced as I heard footsteps outside the door. As the door started opening I knew I wouldn't have enough time to hide. "Jackson I is having question." I hear Ronald's voice outside the door, and the door stops opening. "What's up?" Jackson asks. Now is my chance! I swiftly look around, and I spot a chair huddled into the corner. I move the chair, get behind it, and move it back.

My heart is beating so hard in my chest that I'm scared Jackson will hear it. I practice my breathing exercises because if I don't then my powers will activate and Jackson will know I'm here. I squeeze my eyes shut and colors pop in front of them.

JACKSON

Ronald was talking to me about Galaxy Wars. After I answered his question, I walked into my room, shutting the door behind me. I was about to flop onto my bed, when I saw the curtains moving. My heart skipped a beat, and looking around, I saw my toy lightsword and picked it up, slowly advancing on the curtains.

 My heart skipped a beat, and looking around, I saw my toy lightsword and picked it up, slowly advancing on the curtains

Image from Walmart and book. Edited together by me.

"YAHHH!!!" I bolted towards the curtains, and then I realized that the window was cracked open. Tia must have opened it to let some air in. I breathed a shallow sigh of relief, but I could have sworn I heard a gasp when I yelled. I just couldn't shake the feeling of being watched...

I opened my bedside table drawer and pulled out my diary. I started to write. Dear Diary, today was chaotic. There were lots of students running to the auditorium. I can't shake the feeling of being watched though... I feel like someone is going to, I dunno, grab me or someone else really close to me. Damn, I really shouldn't have eaten those churros before bed. The sugar must be getting to my head.

I put my diary on the nightstand. Then I turn off my lamp and burrow myself under the blankets.

EXER

I waited until I heard Jackson snoring. Taking a deep breath, I bounced into action. I slid out from behind the chair and crawled over to the diary. I took it and wasted no time. I opened my backpack and pulled out the disposable camera. I then got as far away as possible from Jackson and took a picture of every single page. I was terrified the camera shutter would wake him up, but luckily it didn't.

Once I was done taking pictures, I put the camera and photos into the bag. I then proceeded to sneak over to Jackson and put it back, but the book opened on it's own and flipped to the last page written. As I read it, I noticed the words 'I can't shake the feeling of being watched though... I feel like someone is going to, I dunno, grab me or someone else really close to me.'

As I read the final word the pages flipped at top speed and then landed onto a page where the same phrase had been burned into page about twenty times. It has been done.

Looking at other pages I saw Lucy, fireworks and the green boy, and words that perfectly described how I felt randomly. I saw text about squirrels and emphadas and stared horrified. If all these came true, and Jackson had written about feeling someone would grab him, but I was here, and he was here, and I could hear Ronald talking to Brenda on the phone, who the hell got taken?!

Then I felt my heart drop. It was either Pamela or David. But although I was friends and talked about deep things with her, David was the one really close to me. I gasped in horror, dropping the diary onto the floor, not caring if I woke up Jackson or not. I opened the window as wide as possible, magic swarming around me. I didn't even need to think about flying, yet I soared through the air.

DAVID

My father had learned I missed football practice. He had shouted at me for an hour straight, then slapped me, like really hard. It still kinda hurts. I decided to take a walk to clear my head. It was dark outside, but I liked to walk during the night, it was always quiet and oddly nostalgiac.

I was feeling a little nervous though. I felt like I was being watched. I glanced around, and saw someone walking behind me, swift and silent as a shadow. I decided to walk a little faster. He was still following me. I walked across the street and walked back in the direction of my house. He still followed me, speeding up.

I broke out into a cold sweat, my heart racing. I saw my house and started to run. The person chased after me. And I was too scared to make any noise. I got to the front door if my house, but before I could open it, someone clasped their hand over my mouth. I smelled chloroform and held my breath, but the sickly smell was going to my brain.

I started to feel groggy, my arms and legs going limp. Colors bloomed and spun around my eyes, and then everything went dark...

©2023, All Rights Reserved