Chapter 28: It was the Night Before Christmas...

JACKSON
I stood in the kitchen, whisking together a frothy mixture of eggs, butter, and a variety of sugars as I sang to myself. As I hummed the final note to Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree, the landline hanging on the wall gave a shrill ring. I stopped mixing the liquids together and pulled the phone off the machine, cradling it on my shoulder.

"Hello?" I asked, listening into the phone. To my utter joy, it was the honey smooth voice of Pamela Lopez on the other end!
"Hey Jackson! I'll be over soon with the tamales! Marco insisted on dropping me off. He'll probably want to snag a cookie or something."

I could hear her soft laughter on the other end of the landline and swooned as I combined the liquids with the dry ingredients.

"Well Marco's pretty sweet. Not as sweet as you though Sweet Pamela." I teased her, chuckling as I placed the bowl down. I placed it down a little too quickly however, and some flour residue sprayed into the air.

I coughed, and waved my free hand. I heard Pamela's voice was garbled with static, but I could tell she was laughing. I smiled.

Image from @birdiedraws on Instagram, (found on Pinterest) edited and colored by me

"Are you laughing at me?" I grinned as I placed the rolled dough onto the greased pan. "Maybe~" chuckled the girl on the other end of the line. "See you soon!" And then with a click, the line went dead.

I hung up and put the phone back in the wall. As I smiled and placed the cookies in the oven, I heard a musical ting from the doorbell. "Coming!" A blur of blue came rushing by, wielding raspberries. I knew it was Ron, and shook my head, chuckling.

RONALD
I ran to the door, flinging it open. Outside stood the Miller twins, and they looked very cheery. Brenda had a big red bow in her hair, a striped navy blue dress fitted perfectly onto her. David wore a pink shirt with emerald pants, a train embroidered onto the top.

Ronald pointed at my David's shirt. "Train!" He gushed and David nodded. Brenda giggled, a tin in her hand. "Hello to you too Russia." She grinned, standing on tiptoe hugging him. Ronald gave her a confused look when she pulled away, eyeing the tin. "What in there?" He asked, brushing sky blue hair out of his eyes.

"Iced gingerbread! Mom made it." Brenda told him as she walked in with David. I smiled wider, popping a fresh raspberry into my mouth. David grinned at me before opening his mouth. I reluctantly took a raspberry out of my bowl and popped it onto his tongue.

"Thanks dude!" David chirped, giving me a double thumbs up before glancing around. I knew immediately who he was looking for before he asked. "Exer not here yet. Nor is anyone else." David nodded and looked away sheepishly.