Chapter 38: Tamales

TRIGGER WARNINGS: MOMENTARY SUC¡DAL THOUGHTS

JACKSON
I had written in my journal about the whole ordeal that happened recently, and because I had a feeling it was my fault Exer got sick, I added a little note in the margins saying that 'I feel a lot better' which will hopefully help.

The detention squad left a few hours ago and Tiá, Tio, and Ron were working at the store. I curled up on my bed, wondering how anyone could enjoy my presence. I just kept causing trouble and blaming other people, namely Exer, for my own problems.

Sure, he was an asshole a couple of months ago, and sure, I am still not over it, but he doesn't deserve all this shit from me. But I can't help blaming him for everything and getting pissed at every little thing he does.

I covered my face and groaned in exasperation into my hands. Sometimes I wonder if life would be better without me. No, I can't think like that. I just can't.
Anxiety buzzed in my stomach like wasps, but I shooed that feeling away. I have a purpose. I have these powers for a reason. But what will happen when I run out of pages?

I sighed and sat up. I stood and stretched before staring at the mirror on my wall. What happened to me? I used to be fun and likeable, but now I'm just... edgy. I shook my head and walked out of my room and downstairs. The house was empty, so I turned on MTV. There was a music video playing, so I happily sang along, my voice blending through the air.

Sometimes I feel I've got to...
Run away, I've got to... Get away from the pain you drive into the heart of me.

Our voices were in harmony, and then I stopped singing as I stuffed a cookie into my mouth. The phone rang as I was halfway through a second cookie, so I quickly swallowed and picked up the receiver.

"Hello?"
"Hi Jackson!"
"Oh! Pam, hey!"
"What are you doing?"
"Eating cookies. What about you?"
"Watching the news. Apparently they found a fascinating rock in a cornfield near here and they think it was left by aliens."
"Ha, do you believe that?"
"Not really, but hey, we can't be the only people in the universe."
"Good point."
"Did you hear that Exer got out of the hospital?"
"...no."
"He's doing better, but not a lot."
"Oh."

I heard her sigh before speaking once more.

"Jackie, I get you are still upset by what happened to you at the start of the year, but you need to let it go at this point. Or at least not make it so obvious. You just hate Exer, and I quite honestly thought you'd finally.like him after learning you might be siblings. But you just hate Exer and his friends!"
"I don't hate them."
"Yes you do."
"I don't hate you."
"I know. But you need to be nicer."
"They weren't nice!"
"So?! They are nice now! I mean how MANY times does Exer Campbell have to apologize to you?! He even ran onto the stage to tell EVERYONE about his magic because you wanted him to! He was so desperate for you to not hate him that he actually went to do it! Imagine what what have happened!"
"It's not the 1800s Pam."
"So?! Do you think people would sit back and accept his magic?! No! They wouldn't! They'd put him in a lab somewhere!"
"Well-"
"And not to mention the fact you teamed up with him for a school project on purpose to learn more about the magic, and when he asked why, you just said you wanted to be friends again!"
"...I've got to go."
"Don't hang up-"

I put the receiver on the wall and leaned against the counter, rubbing my eyes. Damn, damn, damn! Why was I this way?!

PAMELA
Oh that boy! He just hung up on me! I was about to hang up when I heard breathing on the receiver.
"Marco..." I growled before quickly hearing the receiver ding to signify someone hanging up. Oh I was so mad at Jackson! I stormed into the kitchen, opened the fridge, pulled out a tamale and started angrily munching on it. Why was he so stubborn?! I stomped into the living room, walked over to the television, flicked it on and turned to the local news channel and collapsed on the couch.

"Hello residents of Kingsmont Town! This is the local news and I'm your newsboy, Daryl Doore! Now, we have a couple things on our agenda today. There hasn't been any more earthquakes thankfully, and Cup'O'Cat's lattes are more popular than ever! Hopefully they will return soon, because the teenager who makes them was sick, but is doing better!"

I smiled to myself, thinking about the reference to Exer. The reporter's face changed as he looked at the next line, clearing his throat.

"On a more serious note, William Miller has been released from jail for misunderstanding and claiming he was framed. This makes sense to the judges considering the child in question was completely healed the next day, which leads us to assume it was a makeup job."

I gasped and sat up, dropping the tamale in horror.

"There will have to be a custody battle in court for the child however between William Miller and former Christine Miller on Thursday."

He cleared his throat before smiling and talking about a new pie at the bakery. I wasn't paying attention, and bounced up, immediately running to the landline and fumbling with the dial. When the receiver was picked up I heard Brenda's scared voice.

"Oh Pamela, he's back!"

©2024, All Rights Reserved

This chapter ended on a darker note so you guys get two memes today. 😅

 😅

Both images found on Pinterest