Chapter 13: Empanadas

TW: CRUEL PARENT, HOMOPHOBIA
DAVID

"Hello Daddy, hello Mom, I'm you're ch-ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb! Hello world, I'm your wild girl, I'm your ch-ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb!" I was singing along to my walkman as I hurried to my house. As The Runaways sang into my ears, I was thinking about what Dad would say. Sometimes he was... I don't know... Scary? I mean I couldn't really sit and talk with him. He has been really unsettled lately, and I am pretty sure he's suspicious about me and Exer. He has been even more harsh to Ex than normal.

At that thought I broke into a jog, the sun had set even more, and I could only see the tip of the sun, the rest of the canvas sky blood red, passionate orange, and a deep navy blue. I saw the house and turned my walkman off and stowed it in my jacket. A chilly breeze ruffled my hair as I cleared my throat, took a deep breath, and opened the door silently. I'd rather Dad think I was here the whole time. As I snuck to the staircase, I heard an ominous "David. Solius. Miller." I slowly turned around and saw Dad glaring at me, a beer can in hand.

"Where. The. HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?!" I saw his fingers grip the can, and it wilted a little under the pressure. I felt like that can. "At the library with Exer, like I told you earlier..." I mumbled looking at the floor. He shoved me into the railing and I fell over. I looked up wide-eyed at my dad. The liquid was sloshing around in his can, he was shaking with intense anger. "Linda. Works. At. The. Library. And. Said. You. Were. Only. There. To. Meet. Up. With. That. FAG."

"He... What?" I stood up nervously rubbing my back from where he shoved me. Dad glared at me and took a swig of beer. He teetered a bit. I realized he reeked of alcohol and the stench was drowning my mind. I pointed at the can and nervously asked "Dad, h-how many of those have you had..?" He looked at the now empty can and slurred "What does it matter to you?! If you don't go to your room now, I'll beat the shit out of you!" I stared wide-eyed. Dad had never said that stuff before. Well, I mean he's threatened me before, but he sounds furious.

"You wouldn't do that Dad, you are too nice!" I smile hopefully at Dad, whose face was about the same color as his hair at this point. "Try me." He growled and then punched me square in the jaw. Pain bloomed, blossomed, and spread down my nerves, leaving a hot, stinging sensation. "NOW GET YOUR ASS UPSTAIRS!" I felt tears sting the corner of my eyes. As I ran upstairs, I felt him chuck the empty can at the back of my head. I ran to my room and after shutting the door, I sat down on my bed and as hot tears welled in my eyes, I wondered why he did that. I started talking myself into saying it was because he's drunk. He'd apologize... Right?

EXER
"

What do we do now? We're siblings and the diary has something to do with us." I asked Jackson as I sat criss-cross on his bed with Jackson's Galaxy Wars t-shirt and flannel shorts. I picked at a knitted blanket on his bed, entwining my fingers in the fibers of the work. Jackson looked at me thoughtfully, sitting in a bean bag chair and chewing on one of the chocolate filled empanadas his tia made for us. I picked one off the pan and immediately dropped it. Those suckers were practically melting my hand and I burnt my finger on the pan.

I thrust my finger into my mouth to cool it down. "Aww gnarly man! That's gotta hurt." Jackson winced with a bit of concern in his voice. "I'm fine." I commented and as I saw a green flash in my mind, and a tingling sensation in my mouth, I pulled my completely healed finger out of my mouth and dried it off. After Jackson showed me how to properly remove the empanada from the pan, he handed me one. I took a bite and felt the crisp, flakey, buttery, pastry melt in my mouth as the smooth, creamy chocolate flowed in. I couldn't help smiling. This was nice.

I swallowed and attempted to speak. "Sor what shouem wem do?" Jackson looked at the ceiling in thought again, and after a minute or two he looked at me, and smiling, commented "We work through it together. We should get the gang involved, yours and mine. We can find out this mystery together. Oh and the 'lollipop gang' as you call them, kinda figured out about your powers. They won't tell anyone though." I blinked in mild surprise. I figured this might happen, judging how much Jack hangs out with them. "Wait a minute. I just realized something..." Jackson looked confused. "What?" He asked curiosity getting the best of him.

"Were you the headless hunter for Halloween?!" His eyes widened and he smiled. "Kinda." He shrugged. I yawned sleep creeping up on me. Jackson stood up and stated 'budge over, that's my spot.' He turned the lamp off and patted the space next to him. I lay down under the covers next to Jackson. After wishing one another goodnight, I heard Jackson drift into a not so silent sleep, he was snoring up a storm. My last thought before I fell asleep was how happy I was and how glad that everything turned out okay.

Nothing was wrong.

©2023 All Rights Reserved

(Btw I gave David a middle name which is sun in Latin)