Chapter 12: Bye Bye, Miss American Pie

TW: SMOKING

EXER

After David and I desperately clambered out of the hole in the floor, we ran around looking for Jackson. He was nowhere to be seen and then David suggested he might have gone outside. To our great relief, Jackson was leaning against a tree, something in hand. David pushed me gently in Jackson's direction with a 'go talk to the poor guy' look.

I walked over to Jackson, leaves crunching under my feet, as the crisp autumn air swirled around me. It was particularly windy today. Jackson was leaning against a pine tree, and I saw the item he was holding was the picture of him and his mother. She MUST have had something to do with this. I leaned against the tree with him, and after a silent moment I pulled a pack of cigarettes out of my pockets and offered Jackson one.

His eyes widened. "You smoke?!" I looked at him and then lit a cigarette and handed it to him. "Well, old habits die hard." I smiled weakly at Jackson. I was tired from all that searching. He took the cigarette and, after hesitating for a moment, he took a puff. "Aghhh! That's awful! Gag me with a spoon, you wastoid!" I chuckled and pulled out one for myself and lighting it as Jackson gagged, spitting ash and smoke out of his mouth, and then stamping the flame out of it.

I took a drag of the cigarette, and then I quietly started to speak. "I... I'm SO sorry Jackson for all I've done to you. I know how you must hate me, because no matter where you go, I always seem to be there. We just can't get away from each other." Jackson, (who had sunk to the ground, sitting against the tree,) looked at me. As I spoke, I noticed his deep brown eye dancing to a symphony of joy and relief.

From the moment I saw his eyes I knew we were going to be good friends once more. It's going to be hard sometimes, understanding and getting along with Jackson, but we would get through it. Together.

We sat for a couple of minutes, sitting on the ground, watching the sun set in this beautiful forest. David was listening to music in the car, and I could hear the enchanting voice of Cyndi Lauper drift through the silky, somewhat nostalgic air as her song Time After Time whispered melodies of comfort into our ears, who long ached for this comfort of everything to finally be perfect.

JACKSON
I feel so happy. So warm. So... At home. I finally felt like I HAD a place in the world. As I sat and listened to singing from the car and the gentle breeze I realized something. I opened my eyes and glanced at Exer, whose eyes were shut and a small but extremely happy smile plastered his face. "Hey, I guess we're brothers, eh' step-bro?" I elbowed him playfully as I said that and he opened his eyes and after putting his cigarette out, he chucked some leaves in my hair. "No, not my locks!" I laughed as I sprinkled leaves in his hair. Exer's eyes widened. "Now that's too far!"

He got up and started to chase me, I bolted away and we both laughed a bit. David was smiling, watching from his car, and when a David Bowie song started playing on the stereo David sang along confidently spewing the lyrics in the tune of the song. "THERE'S A STARMANNN WAITING IN THE SKY, HE'D LIKE TO COME AND MEET US BUT HE THINKS HE'LL BLOW OUR MINDSSS!"

Once the sky had darkened to navy blue, Exer and I retreated to the car, exhausted. I face planted into the backseat of the car and Exer collapsed dramatically onto David's lap. I noticed David's face flush and then he slid into the driver's side to drive. Well that was... Odd? I sat up and then next thing I know I've dozed off.

"Yes, hello Mrs. Smith! It's rad to see you again! Oh yes, Jack dozed off in my car. Oh don't worry, he was just tired from running around with us. Stay over? Really? That'd be bodacious! Oh I can wear what I have on. Let me call my dad!" I heard footsteps patter away and I opened my eyes blearily. "Tiá? Is that you?" I saw her sit next to me. "Your friend Axel is going to stay over tonight! That Davy boy isn't though. He seemed a little nervous, saying he would get in trouble if he was out longer." She stood up, and as she was about to enter the kitchen she turned and whispered; "Axel said his clothes are fine, but share some of yours, he smells like a campfire." She smiled and I could smell vegetable soup cooking.