Chapter 39: Court Date

DAVID
I woke up feeling very refreshed, and Exer was still hugging me, snoring softly. He looked a lot better than he did earlier. I shimmied him off of me before standing up and stretching. Suddenly, Exer's phone rang. I quickly clasped the phone in my hands so the ringing wouldn't wake him up.

I put the receiver to my ear.
"Hello?"
"Oh David! Have you seen the news?!"
It was Brenda, and she sounded hysterical.
"No..? Why what's going on?"
I asked, concerned.
"William got out of jail! Mom and him need to have a custody battle over you! They said you were healed the next day and assumed the injuries were actually a makeup job!"

My heart stopped. Everything froze around me and I heard the phone hit the desk with a thud. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up and I sunk to the floor, too shaky to stand.

"Come home!" I heard Brenda exclaim before she hung up.

I just sat there on the floor shaking. Suddenly my face felt warm and I gasped as I felt tears trickle down my cheeks. I wiped the tears away but they kept coming. At this point racking sobs erupted from my throat and I felt someone hug me from behind.

I saw his toned arms and knew it was Exer. He turned me to face him, eyes wide and concerned.
"Daydream, what's wrong?" He asked, and I threw my arms around his neck, hugging him as he kneeled next to me. We just sat there hugging each other for a while, the only sounds were me crying and Exer shushing me in a gentle way as he rubbed my back.

"I d-don't w-want him to come b-back!" I wailed, gasping for breath. My face hurt and felt damp from all the crying.
"Who?" Exer asked softly, looking deep into my watery eyes and pushing a strand of hair that was stuck to my face out of the way.

"My father." I felt the words shakily leave my body and saw his face contort in anger and fear.
"I won't let him win. I won't. You'll stay with Brenda and your mom." Exer cooed, eyes soft.

I sniffed. "Promise?"
He wiped a tear off my face.
"Promise."

When Thursday came, we were all anxious. My mother and Linda reassured me, Exer told me it'd be okay, and Brenda and Ron patted my back reassuringly.

When we arrived at the court, the jury was chatting to each other, the Judge was looking over his notes, and Dad was sitting in a chair, picking at his tuxedo jacket.

When everyone sat down, the case started. The judge started asking questions to us.

"David Miller, what happened on the night in question? Stand and explain in detail please."

So, with a hand squeeze from Exer, I stood up shakily.

"I told him I wanted to talk to him."
"And what did your father do?"
"Ignore me."
"So what did you do?"
"Turn the television off."
"And?"
"He beat the shit out of me and told me to get out. Then Linda came home, saw me, and told me to call the police while she body slammed him."
"I see. Now, you were completely healed within the next two days. How is that possible when you were supposedly bruised and bleeding?"
"I... I heal fast sir."
"But it could have theoretically been done with your sister's eyeshadow and lipstick, correct?"
"Technically, but that's not the scenario."

He nodded and took notes before asking Mom some questions, Linda a few, and Dad a lot. And Dad just straight up lied, so casually it was undetectable. After a while of back and forth debate, the jury was sent back to discuss the options. Then they came back and told their verdict to the judge.

"The jury has pronounced William Miller not guilty, and he has custody of David Miller."

Everything shattered in front of me as I froze in horror.

©2024, All Rights Reserved

Uhmm... Yeah... So... Memes.

 Memes

All memes were found on Pinterest, none are by me

All memes were found on Pinterest, none are by me. Credit to the creators.