Chapter 51: Sorry 😭

Try not to be too scared from the last chapter guys ✋😰🤚

BRENDA
I sat by my brother's bed for hours after Mom and I got the call he had woken up. I thought about what I'd say to him when the sedatives wore off, but what could you really say on this situation? 'We had Exer's funeral last week. I'm sorry we couldn't hold it off longer.' Maybe 'Mr. Harry's doing better. He's hoping you'll be healed, but I've yet to see him leave his house since...'

I groaned and pushed my palms into my face, the cool skin pressing against my warm eyelids, causing colors to bloom and scatter around my vision. Mom had been up and down the past few hours, going back and forth from David's hospital room, to the coffee counter, and the restroom.

She was a nervous wreck, and fighting this battle on five hours of sleep within the last few weeks, I don't know how she managed that. I caught her literally chowing down on coffee grounds to try to keep herself awake. I don't know how she does it.

When I ask her, she tells me she has to stay awake until David wakes up. I'll admit, I have not been doing too hot lately, with Exer's funeral and David's coma, but I have managed to pass out a few times, namely at school, where Ken is literally such a sweetheart.

He'd go out of his way to make sure I was alright, but he'd always make sure to make me laugh. That's what I loved about him. Oh-! Haha, words!

Anyways, he never pays attention in class, but he'll write notes down in my notebook for me when I fall asleep. Why am I thinking about Ken right now?! Now is most definitely not the time to be daydreaming about his dark hair, or his cute smile, or his attitude, or his- okay, shut UP Brenda, get a grip!

I slapped myself across the face opened my eyes blearily. I looked over and noticed David with an agast and confused look on his face, probably because I slapped myself. I ignored him and looked away. Hold up. Wait a second. He's awake!

I bounced up and bolted over to David, squeezing him into a tear choked hug.

"David, oh David, you're alright!"
I shrieked, pressing kisses to his eyes, cheeks, and forehead. He laughed, pushing me away and making a retching noise. Mom, apparently summoned by her motherly instincts, bolted into the room. The minute she saw David, she burst into happy tears.

"Pumpkin! Oh my dear sweet David!"
She then practiced me out of the way and threw herself against David, squeezing him in a tight hug.

"I can finally sleep peacefully!"
She exclaimed through cracked sobs. David squeezed her back. Only when they finally broke the embrace, both rubbing their eyes, David look down at his hands and back up at Mom.

"Exer's dead isn't he..?"
We both froze, and Mom cleared her throat and squeezed his hand.
"Yes pumpkin. But it's okay, they say he barely felt anything."

David's eyes flooded with water before the tears dropped slowly down his cheeks. He sniffed and wiped his eyes. He was shivering, I could tell. But he forced a smile for mom and told her that he's okay, and he wants her to go home and sleep. She hesitantky nodded and left the room.

The minute she left however, David burst into tears, sniffing and trying to wipe them away. I went to the other side of the bed and climbed onto it, squeezing myself next to him and pulling my twin into a hug. He cried into my shoulder, while I spoke words of comfort and bit back my own tears.