Selfless, Brave And True

Emma narrowed her eyes, watching her father start toward his and Mary Margaret's bedroom. A few days had past, and nothing seemed to change with the woman.

Every morning, David would take a tray of food to her, whispering sweet nothings to her, but would always be left disappointed. He would then repeat his actions, whenever they were home, ignoring her silent answers.

"Breakfast in bed? Seriously?"

David glanced back to his wife, seeing no clement before he turned fully to Emma. "What happened has been really hard on Mary Margaret. The least we can do is make sure she's eating."

"I say we give the Hot Cocoa and foot massages a rest. It's time to haul her ass out of bed, and get her to move past this."

Slamming the tray down, David couldn't help the anger rising in him. "That's a little harsh, don't you think? She took Cora's life." He whispered, his face red with anger.

Brooklyn had made her way down the stairs, her eyes a little red from the restless sleep she had. She wore one of her fathers hoodies, along with a pair of baggy pyjama bottoms. Henry, just behind her, looking more worried.

"Is everything okay?"

"Everything fine, kid. Get your coat, we're gonna be late." Henry rushed to the coat rack, the blonde turning to her sister. "Go brush your teeth, your coming with us."
The girl sighed, stomping past her father and sister and into the bathroom. Once she closed the door, Emma looked back to her father. "I know, that you think she needs our help. But, at the end of the day..she's the only one who can help herself." With that, the woman through her coat on, glancing at the bathroom. "Hurry up! I've got some jeans in my car you can borrow, saves waiting."

Throwing the door open, Brooklyn gave her sister an unimpressed look. She walked toward the door, putting her jacket on quickly. She knew she could just annoy Emma and take her sweet time getting herself ready, but today, she had no effort.

It was like all of her energy hadn't caught up to her in her sleep, due to the lack of it. Instead, the girl followed her nephew outside, the big bidding a quick goodbye to the man before they left.

As they were heading down the stairs, Emma looked at her sister. She seemed to be more quieter than usual, which concerned the blonde.  "You look like hell." Normally, Brooklyn wouldn't hesitate to throw a smart remark back at her, but today, nothing.

Saying nothing, Brooklyn fastened her pace, leaving the two silent and confused.

•••

"Hey, Buddy!" Neal grabbed his son, pulling him into a quick hug. The three had joined him at Granny's inn, Emma wanting Henry to spend the day with him. "How are you?"

"I'm good." He smiled, showing his father the book he held. "I brought this. I thought you could tell me what it was really like over there."

"Sounds great." Neal took the book with a smile, placing it under his arm as he moved to grab some money. "I tell you what. Why don't you and Brooklyn go to the diner, get us four hot cocoas and we'll dive in."

Henry took the money, giving the man a quick thumbs up before he ran out the door. Brooklyn stayed out for a moment, seeing out of it. This confused the man, him giving his ex a questioning look.

Emma sighed, becoming worried herself for the girls sudden silence. "I'm gonna have to take a rain check of that. I need to get down to the station to take care of some things. And, besides David's got us spending the day together for some..sister bonding." She tapped her sisters arm, indicating that they were about to leave, when Neal stopped her.