A Fresh Start

Brooklyn stared out into the long, empty forest, her eyes glaring a burning hole into one onto the trees. Metaphorically, of course.

Jackson was sat next to the girl, his hand gently placed in her thigh, his thumb circling her clothed skin. They had been sat like this for over half an hour now. Since the girl had stormed away from her family, Jackson following her, the two relocated to the woods. Brooklyn found it very calming whenever she needed to be. It was her safe space, almost.

Whenever she was feeling down, or just needed to be alone, the girl took herself there. Just like she did back in Neverland. She hadn't dont it much in the last year, seeing as she didn't need to. She had Jackson by her side, no matter what he did, he's always out a smile on her face. Made her feel like she never wanted to be alone.

Brooklyn couldn't say the same for her family. Emma was away half the time trying to figure out how to catch Zelena, and her parents..well, they were too focused on the baby and helping Emma stop the witch, to even notice what she had been going through.

So, whenever she was alone, Brooklyn always came here.

Just as the silence thickened, a loud beeping sound echoed from below them. Brooklyn sighed, not bothering to check who was calling her, letting it ring out.

A few minutes passed, her phone none stop calling. She knew it'd be either her parents or sister, but she didn't care. She needed this time away from them.

Just as the phone rang for a fifth time, Jackson sighed, grabbing it quickly. He remembered her explaining it to him, quickly pressing the green button before he placed it next to his ear.

"Hello?" Brooklyn didn't bother to stop the man, knowing she couldn't with his stubbornness. Jackson soon became panicked as he listened to her sister on the other line. "Brooke-"

"No."

"Now, isn't the time to be stubborn, you really need t-"

Rolling her eyes, the girl snatched her phone back, her voice raised as she spoke. "Listen, I am not in the mood for your apologies. I just want to be alone, so why can't you just give me that?"

"Mary Margaret's went into labour." Emma spoke, Brooklyn finally catching on. She held the phone, becalming alarmed as she stood up. "You need to get to the hospital, now! Tell Jackson to get his brother and anyone that can help fight off Zelena." Brooklyn stood silently, listening to her sister's orders. Once she hung up the call, she waited a few seconds to recollect herself.

Without saying a word, the girl grabbed her bow and arrows, the two running as fast and they could out of the forest. Brooklyn dialled Regina's number, knowing she was probably with Robin to let them know.

•••

Emma, who was stood just outside the birthing room looked over, seeing her sister rushing toward her. "Is she okay? Did Zelena take the baby?" Emma went to speak, Brooklyn too panicked to notice. "She took the baby, didn't she? I wasn't here to help, I-I'm sorry, I-"

"Brooke." Emma grabbed a hold of the girls shoulders, stopping her mid rant. "Mary Margaret is fine, the baby is fine. It hasn't come yet." Brooklyn breathed out a relived sigh. "Everything's fine."

"For now." She whispered, looking the blonde in the eyes as she spoke. "When Zelena gets here, who knows what'll happen."

"Nothing will happen." Emma reassured, seeing the unsure look on her sister's face. Narrowing her eyes, Emma asked. "How come you're so stressed? You're normally the one to calm someone else down."