Family Problems | Dream Reaction #12

Reaction: When their gf has family problems

Genre: Hurt/comfort

Warnings: mentions of divorce, mental health issues, etc, the fun stuff

Word Count: 5280k

Author's Note: This was another thing I've always wanted to write about. The scenarios for each member ended up being longer than I intended. But it felt good to write about this, as I'm sure not everyone has the perfect family. I hope this can bring comfort if any of you are in that type of situation, I know it's not very fun. Thank you for reading ^ ^

~ ~ ~

MARK

You were diligently working on a homework assignment, determined to tune out the madness that was unfolding outside your bedroom door. That's how you always coped when such situations arose—immersing yourself in schoolwork, even when the deadline was still two weeks away. It was definitely beneficial for your grades, which you couldn't complain too much about.

Nevertheless, your fingers inexplicably froze on the keyboard as the phone's vibrations on your nightstand reached your ears. Pushing yourself away from your desk, your hand extended to retrieve your phone. Mark's contact flashed across the screen, and you didn't hesitate to slide the green call button to accept.

"Hey," Mark's voice greeted you, noticeably deeper in the tranquility of the night.

A small smile tugged at the corner of your lips, as you moved to lay on your bed. It had become a comforting routine for Mark to call in the evenings like this. After he had finished his schedule for the day, and was taken back to his dorm by his manager. He'd take a quick shower before retiring to his bed and picking up his phone to call you.

"Hi," you said softly back, resting your head on a pillow. "How was practice?"

"Well, we were stuck learning the bridge part," Mark started to explain. "So it ended up taking longer than we initially expected. But everything's sorted now."

You nodded understandingly, momentarily forgetting he couldn't see you. "That's good. Hopefully, you can get some rest now," you replied.

He chuckled, "I think we both know how that usually goes, babe."

You joined in laughter until a sudden crashing sound from outside made you flinch and sit up. The alarming sound was quickly followed by a cacophony of curses and screams, leaving you with an urge to pull your dark blue covers over your head to seek refuge.

"Are your parents fighting again?" Mark asked cautiously when he noticed you go silent.

A slow exhale slipped past your lips, as you mustered the courage to conceal the fear in your voice. You laid back in bed, attempting to block out the noise by covering your other ear as if hoping it would provide some respite.

"Yeah... it's like, I don't know...the seventh time this week?"

Mark hated hearing that lighthearted tone you used whenever your parents were going at each other. He knew you often pretended like it didn't bother you. But after dating you for almost a year now, Mark could tell when you were just trying to put on a brave face for him. So, he did what he always did whenever this happened.

"Wait for me outside. I'll be there in fifteen minutes," he instructed, before ending the call and getting up from his bed.

Knowing you couldn't argue with Mark when he was serious about something, you grabbed your black cardigan and carefully left your room. As you tiptoed down the hallway to get to the stairs, you could make out the light coming from your parents' bedroom.