Timing | Jeno Fic #2

Title: Timing

Genre: Angst

Warnings: mentions of divorce

Word Count: ~4k

Author's Note: The original idea for this story sort of just sprang on me. It's basically a best friends-to-lovers story gone wrong. I personally really enjoy sad stories, but I apologize if this story frustrates any of you. Hope you guys like it and thank you for reading ^ ^

° 𐐪𐑂 ♡ 𐐪𐑂 ₒ 𐐪𐑂 ♡ 𐐪𐑂 °𐐪𐑂 ♡ 𐐪𐑂 ₒ 𐐪𐑂 ♡ 𐐪𐑂 ° 𐐪𐑂 ♡ 𐐪𐑂 ₒ 𐐪𐑂 ♡ 𐐪𐑂 ° 𐐪𐑂 ♡ 𐐪𐑂 ₒ

Jeno remembered the first day he met you quite vividly. You had moved into the neighborhood just two weeks before seventh grade started. However, he had only gotten a glimpse of you once when you accompanied your mother to give rice cakes to his mom. The next time he encountered you was at school, where the two of you found yourselves in the same homeroom. But being the introverted individual you were, Jeno stuck to his close-knit circle of friends, and you didn't so much as give a glance in his direction.

The first time he officially talked to you happened at the convenience store. He had just gotten out of school and wanted to buy a snack before he had to go to hagwon. As he was walking toward the refrigerated section, you entered the store with the same idea in mind. The prospect of enjoying your favorite kimbap after a long day of school seemed like the perfect way to lift your spirits.

However, as you approached the aisle, you noticed Jeno reaching for the last triangle kimbap on the shelf. Almost immediately, you let out a defeated sigh that came out louder than intended. Jeno's eyes met yours in a split second and awkwardness quickly filled the air.

Even though he was shy around new people, Jeno managed a sheepish smile. "Uh, hi."

"Hello," you mumbled in reply, feeling a blush creeping up your cheeks.

Your gaze involuntarily returned to the kimbap in his hand, feeling torn between your craving and your natural reserve. Jeno must've been able to pick up on the inner conflict in your demeanor. Before you could step back, he held the snack out to you.

"You can take it if you want," he offered.

You looked at him with wide eyes and promptly shook your head. "Oh—no, you don't have to do that! I can just pick something else, it's no big deal."

Despite your protest, the boy moved forward and placed the kimbap in your hand, catching you off guard.

"It's fine," he reassured with a warm smile. "I didn't really want it anyway."

He walked away, leaving you feeling terribly guilty, even though he had willingly given it to you. Reluctantly, as you went to check out, you couldn't stop thinking about that encounter. So when you spotted him outside after purchasing, you impulsively tapped on his shoulder. He turned around in surprise when you held out a carton of banana milk.

"Please, take this," you said, ignoring the internal struggle between your heart and your mind. "I feel bad about earlier."

The boy smiled as he accepted the drink. "Thanks...Kim (Y/n)," he said, glancing at the name tag on your uniform.

You smiled back shyly, and he then asked if you were going to hagwon too. When you found out you attended the same one, Jeno suggested walking together.

And just like that, you and Jeno soon became best friends. Throughout middle school, the two of you were inseparable. He got you to join his friend group at lunch, and you started inviting him over for dinner at your house. Some days you guys ditched the hagwon and went to play arcade games instead. Those three years were filled with so many fond memories.