Mine | Jaemin Fic #1

Title: Mine

Genre: College AU, best friends to lovers

Word Count: 3551k

Warnings: mentions of reader being insecure, also tiny mentions her having a not-so-great childhood

Author's Note: Before, I tried to refrain from writing this trope because I thought it was a bit cliché. But I decided there was no harm in trying it. I think there are a lot of other writers who have done a better job than me. It was still fun to make this though. Hope you guys like my first longish story on here! Thank you for reading ^ - ^

∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘

"(Y/n)-ah!"

On cue, your eyes lifted from the textbooks in front of you and found a familiar face. You acknowledged the caramel brown-haired man with a small smile. Pretending as if your heart didn't flutter when he called your name.

Jaemin returned your smile with his adorable one and claimed the empty chair next to you.

"What are you doing here?" You asked the boy, watching as he reached for his bag.

"I was at the convenience store and picked this up for you," He quickly explained, placing a triangle kimbap in your hand. "I got the spicy crab one you like."

A confused frown formed on your lips. "You didn't have to do that."

"Knowing psychology major Lee (Y/n), you've been here since the morning on a Saturday. Which means you probably skipped breakfast and lunch," Jaemin relayed.

"Aish...how did you know?" You admitted quietly, as you unwrapped the plastic on the kimbap. It was crazy how he knew you so well.

You guessed that's what happens when you've been best friends with a person for six years. Ever since you helped him from failing the math exam in the sixth grade, Na Jaemin stuck to you like glue. Throughout middle and high school, people wouldn't see you without the other.

He looked at you like a proud mom when you took the first bite. "I just know you."

You held his gaze for a second too long, cursing at yourself for blushing. Usually, the two of you were super casual with each other. In those small moments of sincerity, you felt like a million butterflies fluttered in your stomach.

It seemed that with years of friendship came blossoming feelings. You knew how stupid and cliché you were, being secretly in love with your best friend. But how could you not fall for him?

Na Jaemin was perhaps the only person who knew Lee (Y/n) the best. He knew all the things you liked and hated. He knew about your tendency to crack under pressure and the constant anxiety that ruled your mind. And he knew what cheered you up during those times, whether it was reassuring words or a warm hug from your best friend.

Jaemin...saw you in your worst moments. Maybe that's why you fell for him. You realized it in ninth grade when your mom left the house and Jaemin was immediately at your side. He stayed the whole night, wiping away your tears and repeatedly telling you it wasn't your fault.

But no matter how strong your feelings grew, you suppressed them to the best of your ability. You decided a long time ago that Jaemin probably didn't feel the same way. You knew because you watched him date multiple girls in high school. Though they were short-lived like any high school relationship, he never failed to capture the heart of any girl with a charming face like his. Besides, you treasured your friendship more than some confession that could easily ruin what you already had. At least this way, he was still a part of your life and you were a part of his.