Café Love | Jaemin Fic #2

Title: Café Love

Genre: Fluff, Barista AU

Warnings: mentions of anxiety, alcohol, cancer

Word Count: 2389k

Author's Note: This is just something I've been working on the past week. I am a part-time barista, so I got a little inspiration for this story. My friend also helped me come up with half of this, so I credit her great ideas. So I really hope you guys like this. Thank you for reading ^ - ^

∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘♡∘°∘

Ever since freshman year of college started, Kim (Y/n) found herself in three places. The campus building where she attended classes, her apartment where she studied and recharged from social overstimulation, and the part-time job at Cafe 7 she had gotten two summers ago.

(Y/n) honestly enjoyed being a barista. Not so much the interacting-with-customers part. It was more of the soft music that played in the background and the aroma of coffee beans she had grown to like. Having friendly coworkers was also a plus.

"Hey, (Y/n)!" Jaemin waved from behind the counter when he saw her coming through the entrance. She smiled and shyly waved back.

Jaemin was one of those friendly coworkers. When they met a few months ago, (Y/n) was a little intimidated by his charismatic personality. But after getting to know him, she came to see that he was a pretty interesting person.

Early on, she learned he was a college dropout who would be in the year above her if he hadn't. He loved coffee and drank two to three cups of it with four extra shots every day. On his off days, he enjoyed photography and often liked to take pictures of his friends.

The two of them exchanged small talk until their other coworker, Hyejin came, allowing Jaemin to get off his shift. He usually worked in the morning on weekdays while (Y/n) took the closing shifts because of school.

Jaemin often noticed the tiredness in her eyes, whether she had stayed up too late studying or was drained from class. Nonetheless, she still came nearly every day, ready to work.

A few minutes after he clocked out, he realized he forgot his phone. Just as he reentered the cafe, he spotted (Y/n) and Hyejin behind the counter. (Y/n) was preparing a customer's order, while Hyejin was talking to her.

Not wanting to eavesdrop, he headed to the back and grabbed his phone to leave again. But he stopped in his tracks when he heard his name mentioned.

"Na Jaemin, is kinda cute don't you think?" He heard Hyejin say. "He seems like your ideal type."

(Y/n) hated how her cheeks immediately flushed at Hyejin's comment. What she said wasn't necessarily wrong. For one thing, Jaemin was one of those rare guys who was genuinely kind. He was introverted, which sparked many conversations about their quiet lifestyles. He also had a lovely smile.

Even though (Y/n) wasn't too experienced (or at all) in the field of dating, Jaemin was everything she could hope for in a guy. Yet—as much as the thought of him made her heart flutter, a sense of discouragement came with it.

"Yeah he is. But I don't think it would work out." (Y/n) shook her head, as she poured steamed milk into a cup with espresso.

"Why do you say that?"

She reached for a lid and cup holder. "I just...can't see why a guy would like me. Much less someone like Na Jaemin."

"What are you talking about?" Hyejin scoffed in disbelief. "There's so many things to like about you—"