Chapter 46 : Running After the Past

Konogakure, Exiting the Office of Lady Tsunade

"So we are all going to be sent after Sasuke?" summarized Tenten. She just got out of the office of their Hokage. Their team was following her alongside Sakura as Ino and Sai rather stand by Naruto's side.

"It seems." Said Neiji looking forward to the reaction of Sakura.

Tenten wished that he would stop trying to test her best friend, the Hyuga seemed to have a hidden disdain of Sakura. Whenever he could, he would swiftly find ways to insult the girl. It was as if he decided to take the side of Ino in this unsettled silly war.

"I simply hope that we will finally manage to bring back Sasuke." Started Sakura which was admirable in Tenten's opinion to be so all bent on one goal. Although this didn't seem to please Neiji. "Although, I wished that Naruto and I were as intimate as when Team 7 still existed."

This made Tenten also sighed. This matter ... Naruto Uzumaki, he had certainly changed since his return. He preferred to spend time with Ino and this Sai or even Hinata than his own teammate of his genin team. Sakura failed the exam, she was still a genin, she would try her luck for the second time soon.

"It is only fair, in my opinion." Simply said Neiji before joining his cousin, Hinata to go back to the Hyuga compound.

"THAT!" screamed Tenten.

"No need to get mad over that, Neiji is Neiji after all. He never got over her death." Said Lee sounding suddenly very serious.

Her? Who was even that? Even Sakura seemed confused but the usually opened book ninja didn't say more before getting to his own apartment to prepare for this mission. Her teammates were getting weirder each day that passed. Tenten didn't think that it was possible but it was, it seems.

....

Konohagakure, before the departure of Naruto's promotion, in front of the Hokage's office

"Can you believe that Orochimaru is really dead?" inquired Jiraya sat beside Tsunade Senju.

"It is difficult to imagine...now it is just you and me." Said the Senju looking at the sunset.

"At least we still have each other." Said Jiraya with loving eyes. The Senju wished that she could reciprocate these feelings but she was still too hurt by her deceased loved one to even think of starting something with her good friend.

"Yes, I hope that you will not do like the others." Said bitterly Tsunade.

Her fellow sannin hugged her deeply. She didn't resist. She leaned into his embrace. Then he quickly let her off. The Hokage wished that he would have held her like this forever. In his arms no Aktasuki existed, she could still pretend that her loved ones were still alive.

"Tsunade, I must take on myself to investigate the Akastuki. I have finally a lead." Said Jiraya. Then he looked at her seriously. "Aki might be tied unwillingly to the organization and they might have ordered her to kill Orochimaru. I cannot bear to think that my student was used like this especially if she is whom she thinks she is."

"I am sorry that you have to handle this all by yourself. You know if you need help, I would gladly lend a hand." Said Tsunade looking back at him seriously.

Jiraya shrugged. He knew that it was a dangerous task but no one else could infiltrate successfully Amegakure. All the meager information that he had pointed towards this very village.

"The fifth Hokage cannot be absent of the village for long or else the elders might use this opportunity to take all the decisions." Joked Jiraya.

"Not that any of that matter, Naruto will soon replace me as the Hokage. The Elders wouldn't begin to know what to do with him, I would almost pity him." Added the Senju imagining the scene.