C h a p t e r T h i r t y

PART THIRTY

                                            ❝Everybody has a chapter they don't read aloud.❞

It was snowing out

It was snowing out. My stomach was huge, eight months pregnant. The last two months had gone uneventfully, my daughter was still growing. She was right on track. I was 30 weeks  pregnant as of today. We'd completely finished the apartment. We had everything for our baby, bottles, pumps, blankets, and way way too many clothes. Mainly because anytime I walked into a store and saw baby clothes, I bought them. If anything, we had too much. I'd also been shopping for myself. Jack and I's bedroom is simple, with a queen bed, a dresser, mirror and small chair. Everything is perfect and clean. 

Jack is out selling drugs to girls who want to suck him like a slushie, and I, am in the shower. Running a brush through my hair I finish washing my body, that weighs twenty more pounds then it use too, and the tits that had been my winning trait, swollen and starting to sag now. I step from the shower drying off with a towel. It was then, that I felt water wash over my legs. I stared down at the puddle at my feet. My water broke. 

I scrambled for my phone which I'd left on the kitchen counter while I showered. I dialed Jack's number. He picked up,

"Do I need to come home?" He asked, his voice a wash of concern. I nodded, then felt stupid as he couldn't see me. 

"My water just broke." I said calmly. 

"Alright I'm on my way." He said, the line went dead. I pulled on black sweatpants and a grey tank top. I braided my hair, this time tying it off with actual hair ties. I grabbed a sweater, it was freezing out. The door opened. Jack rushed in, grabbing the hospital bag. 

"Lets move." He said, and that's when my first contraction hit. I crouched to the ground holding my stomach. 

Jack pulled me up, wrapping his arm around my waist and helping me out to the truck. My body bent again as I felt the next contraction. Jack lifted me into the backseat of the truck. Where I laid down on my back. Everything hurt. I rested my head against the car seat we had set up for Evie.

"DRIVE FASTER!" I screamed, as my entire body seized with pain. 15 minutes later, and about 15 more contractions later we pulled into the hospital parking lot. Jack helped me out of the truck. After 15 more minutes, I was laying in a bed and Jack was holding my hand. I screamed, hours passed. Until the same doctor who'd been there when I'd had Braxton Hicks, walks in. I squeeze the shit out of Jack's hand. He winces and I glare at him.

"Time to push Kaitlyn." She instructs, kneeling in front of my open legs. I try once to push. It hurts too badly.

"I can't." I say through gritted teeth. 

"You can do this Katie." Jack said, applying a wet rag to my forehead that was glistening with sweat. I did, and I thought it might kill me.

"Again." The doctor said.

"I can see her head." She adds when I feel tears running down my face. This time, I push harder. With all the strength in my body. The doctor looks up at me,

"One more Ms. Thomas you can do it." I take four deep breaths, fast. It was on that last push that I heard the crying. And watched as the doctor and nurses brought my screaming, covered in goo daughter and laid her on my chest. Suddenly all the pain my body was in dissapeared. My daughter, was laying on my chest. I started sobbing. 

The doctor lifted my daughter from me, holding my child in her arms and I watched as they weighed her and cleaned her off. They handed her back to me five minutes later, swaddled in a blanket and wearing a tiny pink hat. 

"Hi Evelyn." I whispered to her, clutching her tiny body in my arms. 

"Five pounds, six ounces." The doctor said smiling at me. She knelt between my legs again.

"Impressive, you didn't even tear." She said smiling at me and taking off her gloves. I shut my legs. Jack hadn't said a word. When I looked over at him he was crying. Silent tears streaking his face. I handed our daughter to him. His eyes glistened as he took her. Her eyes, were pale blue her skin, tan, and the few strands of hair on her head caramel colored. She had pouty lips that were turned upward, in a soft smile. 

"Hi my love." Jack whispered, laying his finger against her cheek. The look in his eyes was one that I'd seen before, it was the look that Leo used to give me, because Jack's world had stopped spinning. 

"I'm momma." I said, pressing my lips to her forehead. My beautiful daughter, who was somehow alive, somehow not addicted to anything. And, she was my daughter. My baby. 

"I'm dada." Jack said, and I watched as our daughter curled into Jack's arms. I smiled. My heart was so full, of love at that moment. At that moment, everything was perfect. Everything was okay. Because all that mattered was my daughter being safe and alive. I closed my eyes, and let my body sink into the comfortable white linens of the hospital bed.