C h a p t e r F o r t y- T h r e e

PART FORTY THREE

                                                    ❝It's the connection we can't explain.❞

Never once, did I imagine myself having a shotgun wedding in Vegas to a guy I'd only known for a year, with my 3 month old in tow

Never once, did I imagine myself having a shotgun wedding in Vegas to a guy I'd only known for a year, with my 3 month old in tow. But the one thing we can't change is change. I flopped down on the bed next to Jack. We'd rented a shit motel.

"We're married." I say grinning at him. He smiles back at me.

"I guess so." He says leaning over to kiss me. Looking at him, I realized how in love I was, with a man I never saw myself glancing twice at. Now, I'm laying next to him with our daughter sleeping in between us.

"Our kiddo is three months old." He says, running a hand over her small back. I nod tears welling in my eyes.

"You know what's crazy?" I ask, reaching across the sheets for his hand. He shakes his head.

"She's going to fuck up, she's going to mess things up and make mistakes. But I'm never going to leave her." I say gazing at her beautiful face. Jack nods.

"It's time to let it go babe, you're married with a child now. We're the only family you need." He said standing up and walking to the bathroom. I followed him shutting the door behind me. He raised an eyebrow. I was crying, again. He wrapped his arms around me tightly.

"You miss em don't you?" He said as I choked on my own voice. I nodded into his shoulder. He exhaled hard and I could feel his hot breath on my neck. 

"I miss my family too honey." He said, so softly I couldn't even hardly hear him. This time, I wrapped my arms around him. 

It was then I realized, when I was in the hospital, when I gave birth to our child, the only person there was Jack. I loved him with everything in my heart. I hear Evie crying in the next room. Pulling away from Jack he dried my tears with his fingers and smiled. I scooped Evie off the bed. She scrunched her face up a tiny bit. 

"Hi sweetheart are you hungry?" I asked, pulling my shirt down a little bit. 

"Ow holy shit." I said pulling her away from my boobs. Jack raised an eyebrow. I pulled Evie's mouth open a little bit.

"Holy shit Jack I think that's a tooth." I say gesturing to it. His eyebrow raises higher. 

"My little girl getting her first tooth?" He asks smiling. I nodded. I handed her to him and rummaged around in her bag to find children's Tylenol. Children's meds you had to put in syringes and put them in their mouths. 

"Here you go kiddo" I said, compressing the syringe in her mouth, she babbled up at me. 

"Okay kiddo lets change your diaper and outfit and put you back down huh?" I ask her. She coos at me in response. I smile at her pulling on her new pajamas. I lay her down next to me. She rolls onto her stomach and my mouth drops open.

"Holy shit kid." I say.

"our daughters growing up." Jack says from where he lay beside me. I smile over at him rolling over into his arms.

"This time last night I was still your girlfriend." I say into his shoulder.

"Now your my beautiful wife."