C h a p t e r S e v e n t y - F i v e

PART SEVENTY FIVE

                      ❝It made me feel better, because I was a tiny someone's everything.❞

I listened to the incessant beep of heart monitor, I watched as nurses crowded around me

I listened to the incessant beep of heart monitor, I watched as nurses crowded around me.  I realized how much time I'd been spending at the hospital, which is where I had no doubt I was. A woman with long blonde hair tied in a bun, and a clipboard in hand came to sit  by my bedside. 

"Ms. Thomas I'm Dr. Brewer. How are you feeling?" She said, and I stared at her, my eyes blurred and a dull throbbing coming from my arm. I nodded.

"Where is she?" I asked, not realizing who I was even talking about. Then I remembered, my daughter, who needed me. I sat straight up, and promptly fell back down. It felt like I was floating, and I had no idea what drugs were in my system. I realized then, they had to have seen the heroin in my system. They took my daughter. I only heard those words thundering in my head. The doctor made a gesture, to behind her where there was a small crib, that contained my beautiful baby girl. I sat up, still feeling as though as I was floating. 

"My baby." I murmured, as I watched her back rise and fall. The dull pain, turned sharper and I half wanted to ask for more drugs.

"Ms. Thomas, do you have any recollection of what happened to you, and your daughter?" She asked, and I shook my head. Suddenly feeling the heaviness of my body come back to me, as I sank into the pillow again.  I wanted to get out of here. I noticed then, the large white bandage around my upper arm, where the pain was stemming from. As I propped myself up against the pillows I looked at the doctor. 

"Ms. Thomas, it appears you were stabbed. A man called  911, when you stumbled into a bar with your daughter, and passed out, you have significant blood loss." She said, and then made a note on her clipboard. I raised an eyebrow, I knew, vaguely who stabbed me, and vaguely who'd called 911. I'd grabbed Evie from Jack, where when I'd lifted my arms for her, he had stabbed me,  somehow I had stumbled out of the door, and to Red's with Evie, in the hopes Leonard could've helped me. Leonard became Leo. I'd passed out when I walked through the door. He'd probably thought I was out of my mind.

"Is she okay?" I asked, gesturing to Evie and the doctor nodded. 

"Light bruising on her head, but she should be fine, we'll monitor her and you for the next few days. Now, Ms. Thomas are you aware your four months pregnant?" She asked, making another note. I stared at her again.

"I wasn't aware of the four months part." I said, feeling more shocked. As I looked down at my stomach I didn't even see a bump. 

"Ms. Thomas, I have to ask, was this wound caused by a significant other?" Dr. Brewer asked, and I shook my head. Because of all the reasons I hated myself, being a snitch would not be added to the list. I flipped my legs over the bed.

"I want to get out of here." I muttered. She shook her head, placing a hand on my arm. 

"Ms. Thomas I highly discourage that decision, you are not in a stable condition." She said, as I stood up. I looked at the iv in my arm.

"I'm fine, seriously. Thanks for your help, and for taking care of my baby, but seriously, I am fine." I said, in the same voice I used to sweet talk cops. I stumbled over to Evie, her eyes were open now, and looking at me. 
"Hi my love." I whispered, scooping her into my arms. Her body fit so perfectly against me, beautifully, and I looked at her beautiful eyes, the ones I'd fallen in love with.  Now the man who gave her those eyes, had put me in the goddamn hospital. I watched the doctor sigh, and instruct the nurse to bring my discharge papers. 

"Hi" Evie said, as she stared at me. I felt the tears brimming in my eyes, now she was saying mama, dada, and hi. I tickled her stomach and watched her smile up at me. Because somehow, she didn't see me as the broken person I saw, to her I was mama, and I was her everything. A nurse, who looked older than my mother handed me papers, of which I signed, with the sloppiest signature known to man. I pulled on my sweats, and the pink tank top that probably smelled like a grease trap and hoisted my daughter higher on my hip. As the door swung closed behind me, I looked around. I had, no money, nobody to call, and no idea where I was. I groaned.

I pulled my phone from my pocket. I scrolled through the contact list, until I saw Leo's. I grimaced, it had been months since I'd seen him. I wondered briefly if he was happy, if he and Annie had become better together than him and I ever would've been. I allowed my finger to hover over the call button. Of all the people I wanted to call, it was him I wanted most. I looked at Evie, because as hard as this was. I knew it was time, I couldn't go back. I had to stay strong, and walk out the goddamn door. For her sake.