C h a p t e r S e v e n t y - S e v e n

PART SEVENTY SEVEN

                                             ❝I'm coming back, just not right now baby.❞

I wanted to kill Leo

I wanted to kill Leo. Stab a knife through his heart. When his car came to a stop in front of Aspen Creek Rehab & Addiction Services. I glared at him as he stepped out of the car. I remained routed to my seat.

"What the fuck are we doing?" I asked, as Evie crawled over my lap. Leo opened the backseat door. He gave me the same look, I'd seen almost two years ago. When I'd been admitted to the mental health hospital. I stared at him. He reached his hand out and I stood on shaky feet to take it. 

"It's time Kaitlyn, you and I both know it." He said, as I stood next to him. I held my daughter a little tighter. I couldn't let her go, and I sure as shit could not and would not get clean. Leo looked at me.

"Kaitlyn, I made the call when you first called. It's a thirty day program, and they have an amazing track record. You can finally get fucking clean and be the girl you should have been." He said laying a hand on my shoulder. I nodded, I knew this was long coming. I had a feeling at one point I would've ended up here. I sighed.

"What about her, I can't leave her she needs me." I said, my voice shaky. I couldn't be away from my baby for a whole month, I looked at Leo, pleading for a different option. He just looked at me. 

"I'll take care of her I promise, she can stay with me while your gone. I still have the stuff you left at my house from that one night, you just need to be focused on being a better mother, for your daughter Katie. Because we both know, your gonna die sooner or later man." He said, placing his hands on my shoulders. We were standing there, outside of rehab. I looked down at my daughter, who was small for her age, because I neglected her, this day and a half of waiting for Leo was the longest I'd ever been sober. I looked at Leo.

"Okay, okay. Please don't have her taken away from me." I whispered, I choked on my own words. I was so scared, that when he walked away from this rehab my baby would be taken by social services. That when I walked out of this rehab, in a whole month she wouldn't be there to see me sober, if that ever happened. 

"I won't take her from you Kaitlyn, you know that. You know how people say addicts hit rock bottom? Last night, in my arms. That was rock bottom. But all you have to do is pick yourself up off the floor and get better, because she deserves it." He said, gesturing to Evie. That was something I'd always loved about him, he was sensible and kind and saw right through the layer of walls I'd built up. He saw something in me I didn't see in myself. I looked at my daughter again, I handed her to Leo.

"Okay sweetheart, momma's going away for a while, but it's not goodbye it's see you later.. alright baby?" I asked, my face level with hers. She looked at me, curiously, then up at Leo. I stood up to face Leo now, 

"Who's paying for this dude?" I asked, suddenly realizing how nice this place looked. Lord only knew I had no money, except the small paychecks and little bills tucked into my wallet, which pressed against my side like it was taunting me. Leo waved his hand at me

"Unimportant Kaitlyn, it's paid for and your going to be okay." He said. I nodded, instead of standing here and not bolting, I'd expected for some reason, Leo to drag me in here, where I'd be forced to get clean, where I'd stumble out and get a buzz. But for once, suddenly my head wasn't clouded with indecision or sadness, I knew what was happening and there was no fear. I exhaled hard.

"Okay Leo." I said, turning away from him, and I wasn't sure why but I'd barely taken two steps when I whirled  back around and kissed him. He placed one hand against my cheek, I pulled away from him, staring into his eyes. Of everything that was wrong, he felt right.