56

'Hello, Angel.' He smiled at me, acting as if this was not weird at all.

I haven't seen this man in 13 years. I have not heard from him apart from the child support he sent to my mother. Nothing. Not one call. Not a single message. Not a sign.

'You've grown so much.' He keeps smiling

'What- what are you doing here?' I could barely form words. I could feel my knees caving from shock.

'I'm here for you, of course.'

'What? For me?!'

'Of course. I am your father.'

'No, you are not.' I ain't dealing with this

'Angel-'

'Don't Angel me. You have been gone for 13 years. 13! Did you wake up and magically remember that you have a kid?'

'It's not like that at all.' He spoke in a calm tone. 'I wanted to do this long ago, I just... I was scared.'

'Are you serious right now?' I raise my eyebrow. 'And why did you let him in?' I turn to my mom, who's still in full shock state

'I- uhh...' she swallowed hard, blinking a few times, unable to even answer

'Angel, darling, please, give me a minute, will you?' He spoke again, nervously rubbing his palms on his knees. 'I will be here for a while. In Korea, I mean. I would like to get to know you a bit.'

'Are you joking? 13 years, not a beep, and now you wanna be a doting father? Are you alright?' I grimace at him, wondering if he's mentally stable

'I was thinking more of a friend. I know that I can't ask you to just accept me back into your life, but if you could give me a chance-'

'No.' I cut him off firmly, and he was left looking at me dumbfounded

'But-'

'No buts. You left me. You have no reason to look for me now. Not a single one.'

'You are my daughter. Whether you like it or not, it's undeniable.' He argues

'Lovely father you are.' I scoff. 'Left us both and sent us away. Tell me, father, did you have fun on your own until now? Or did you get yourself a new pretty wife and kids you actually didn't abandon?'

'I didn't have a choice!' He raised his voice for the first time, but then he backed down by taking a deep breath. 'I didn't- I couldn't do it. Everything was too much. Your mother and I were not good for each other. You would have grown up with a terrible family.'

'And the only possible thing you could have done was to leave us both? Send us away?'

'That choice wasn't mine.' He looked past me at my mom

'Mom? What is he talking about?' I look at her. She told me he sent us away. Many times.

'I wanted to separate, that's true. We didn't function. It was rough on us both. But I wanted to keep you in America. I offered to find you a place, but your mother insisted on coming back.'

'Mom, is that true?' I almost whimper, looking at her with eyes filling up with tears. 'Did you take us away?'

'I had to.' She finally spoke. 'I didn't have anyone but him there. This is the only place I could go.'

'Why- why didn't you tell me? Why did-' I cut my own whispering words off with a few tears that slid down my cheeks

'I'm sorry, my baby. I couldn't explain it to you. You were too young to understand.' Her eyes were full of tears, too

'Don't blame your mother. She must have had it rough.' That person that's supposed to be my dad spoke up

'Don't even!' I stop him, now fully pissed off. 'You sent us away and haven't even tried to get to me. Not once. And you...' I look at her, 'how many more things did you hide and lie about?! 13 years! You've had 13 years to tell me the truth, and not once did you even try!'

'Honey, it is not as easy as it sounds. How could I even start to explain?' She cried, trying to pat my hair but I moved back

'You told me he sent us away and wanted nothing to do with us. You told me that he hated me for being half of you. And you drank yourself to near death, hating me for being half of him. How could you?'

'What?' Even he was in shock, his eyes almost falling out of his head. 'You told her that I hate her?!' He raised his voice at her, making her sob even harder. 'You kept me away all this time telling her that I wanted nothing to do with her? And you still drink!?!' He was fuming. At least I'm not alone.

'So... you don't... you don't hate me?' I whimper, looking at him

'How could I? You're my daughter. My own child. How could I ever hate you?' His eyes look exactly like mine when I cry. 'I was trying to look for you for years and was told you didn't want to see me. I suppose we were both tricked.'

'Honey, wait-'

'Dont. Touch. Me!' I yanked my arm away from my mother who tried to stop me from leaving. 'I need air. Don't touch me.'

I put on my jacket and my shoes and slammed the door on my way out.

I can't even figure out where to start. She's been lying to me my entire life. Told me my father doesn't want me. Told him the same. Put me through hell. If only she was honest, my life would be so much different.

Walking aimlessly around, I found myself in front of Jimin's house. I guess he's the only person I wanna be around right now. He always makes me feel better. But he's not home.

I sat in front of the door on the little step, hugging my knees and crying into them from all the anger and frustration.

Every hickup seemed to have gotten stuck in my throat, and every breath created fog in this cold weather. Tears running down my face felt like they were burning because they were hot but were freezing at the same time. I can't even feel my legs from the cold.

I have no idea how long I've been sitting there, but I ran out of tears and whatever I cried out froze on my cheeks.

'Hyungie, it's noona!' I heard Yujin with my head still in my knees. Shit. I forgot about Yujin.

I wiped my face with the speed of light, trying to put on the best happy face for him as his little feet carried him over.

'Nooonaaaa!!!' He jumped on me without even taking a look at me, which is good, and hugged me tightly.

'Hello, Yujini.' I greeted him, holding him hidden in my neck so he couldn't see me

Jimin ran right after him, looking at me with fear. 'Angel, what happened?' He spoke quietly not to alert Yujin

'Sorry, Yujini, I need to put you down.' I patted him lightly and set him down, running into Jimin's arms right away. 'Can you hold me, please?' My voice cracked a little, and I felt his arms tightening around me.

'I'm here, baby. I'm here.'