2. The New Girl

The three passed me and it felt as if they were stirring up the air like a fast car, leaving nothing but dust and stagnation behind them

The three passed me and it felt as if they were stirring up the air like a fast car, leaving nothing but dust and stagnation behind them. As if the damn world evolved around them. But it didn't. At least not my world. Pfff.

I took out the books, I needed for the first class today and slammed my locker shut.

When I had joined Burmore Academy a year ago, every new class I had entered had been like jumping into ice-cold water. They were worlds ahead of what I learned in the public school that I had visited before. I had never been a bad student, but I wasn't Einstein either. And catching up with every single subject at Burmore was...impossible. Especially since I had to work a job after school. I had kind of wriggled my way through the exams for a year now, but I was clearly struggling.

Every single subject was a fight for me. But my personal hell was -taatatatataaa (fanfare) - math. Formulas were hieroglyphs for me. I was at a point now where I casually just guessed my answers. It was bad. It was so bad that shivers crawled down my spine when I entered the hated classroom.

I dropped down on my seat next to the window, propped my head up on my fist and stared into the late summer outside. The other students poured into the room. 

Unlike me, they were exceptionally excited for this math class. It was one of the classes that was graced by the presence of the three simultaneously.

Everyone was seated when the bell rang and the girls were already sneaking glances over their shoulders to catch a glimpse at the royalty seated gracefully in the last row. The math teacher entered the room. She wore a small busy smile. Behind her, a girl entered. The room fell unnaturally quiet. 

The new girl had a presence about her, for sure. She looked like an idol. Petite, tender and outstandingly beautiful. Her skin was flawless, the eyes wide and gorgeous. Long black hair shining and unruffled. Her rosé-gold accessories were elegant and expensive. She smiled shyly.

"Hello everyone," the teachers voice snapped everyone out of their stares, "This is Elizabeth Ward, Ellie for short. She will attend Burmore Academy from now on. I hope you all give her a warm welcome. Since she's new, she needs one or two people to show her around and make her acquainted with the buildings. Who of you is so kind to help her a little?" Mrs. Yildirim watched us expectantly.

Ellie looked around unsure, fiddling the hem of her school-skirt.

I knew how it felt. Standing in front of twenty unfamiliar faces, getting judged from head to toe, begging silently for someone to put their hand up. And then the humiliation when the teacher had to choose someone, forcing them to help you out.

I lifted my arm. I didn't want Ellie to be in that situation. I wanted her to feel welcomed.

The teacher smiled as she saw me and was about to open her mouth when a voice cut her off.

"We will do it."

Everyone turned around at once. Because everyone recognized the male voice from the back instantly.