39. Night falls...

It had taken some time before I had gathered the strength to change into my sleep shirt and to brush my teeth

It had taken some time before I had gathered the strength to change into my sleep shirt and to brush my teeth. And now I was back in my bed, staring at the ceiling, eyes puffy from silent crying and the mattress beneath my head soaking wet.

From the corner of my eye, I saw my phone flash with a message. I continued to stare at the ceiling. But eventually, my curiosity took the better of me and I reached for it.

【 Nate 】

N: Are you still awake?

Y/n: Yes

N: Me too

Y/n: Then put your phone away and go back to cuddling Ellie.

I stared bitterly at the text I had just sent.

He answered immediately.

N: Im not cuddling Ellie. We never cuddle.

Y/n: You must be the worst lover I've ever heard of.

N: Can I come in?

Y/n: What??

I sat up on my bed, utterly confused.

N: I'm sitting on a bench

N: in Ben's garden.

N: Please.

N: I have to talk to you.

For a moment, I stared at Nate's last message. My breathing hummed loud in my ears.

What did he want to talk to me about? Terminate the deal? Maybe Ellie had enough of the open relationship after tonight and sent him to call things off. 

Even though I knew this was for the best, my heart writhed like a kicked dog at the thought that I'd loose their closeness, maybe lose them completely, and new tears fought their way out of my quivering eyelids. 

With a tissue from my nightstand, I wiped away the tears and blew my nose.

Y/n: I'm coming to the door.

I was sitting on my bed with my back against the headboard, clutching my pillow tightly.

Nate sat at the edge of my mattress, forearms resting on his thighs, wringing his hands tensely.

My fingers dug deep into the soft cushion that I hugged in front of me like a protective shell while eyeing him through glossy eyes.

He glanced at me, frowning deeply. Looking back down at the floor, he ran his hands over his face.

"I hate seeing you cry." He ruffled his hair with both hands.

Taking a deep breath, he straightened his back and looked at me again.

"I'm not Ellie's lover. Nor are Ben and Dante. Sorry if we didn't...make that clear enough. We have a deal with her, too. Part of which is that we don't tell anyone about it, but...I need you to know. Dante, Ben and I felt pressure to get into a relationship for some time now. Girls were constantly making advances. People close to us were asking a lot. Especially parents. You know how they are. Want to see you happy with someone." He made a sweeping gesture with his hand.

Then he sighed and continued: "It was clear to us that we'd get a girlfriend together. It was also clear that this relationship would be solely about appearances, not feelings. We observed Ellie for some time after she came to our school. She seemed like a fit. Like someone who could fulfil the role as our girlfriend without being questioned. She assured us that she wouldn't get attached and that the deal was in her interest too, you know, being in a relationship with us without any emotional hubbub. Without love or sex, just appearances to have our peace and quiet. And that's all there is to it."

We looked at each other for a while. His gaze was almost imploring.

"Why aren't you waiting to fall in love to get a real girlfriend?" Confusion was clear in my voice.

He huffed softly, "It's not that easy."

I stared at him blankly. It is, in fact, way too easy to fall in love, I thought, but bit down on my tongue.

I scrutinized his golden orbs in search of a hint on what was going on. On their motives, the pattern in which this weird puzzle could be put together. But Nate decided not to give away his feelings on his face for once.

"Do you tutor Ellie, too?" I asked.

His golden gaze became rose-petal-gentle, like a bodyless caress.

I cleared my throat and straightened up a little, ignoring the warmth that spread on my skin from the evening sun shining from his golden eyes.

"No, we don't." He scooted closer.

Absentmindedly, his fingers caressed the back of my hand that I had dropped onto the mattress.

I had to smile at the gesture and quickly blinked away a few cheeky tears.

"You know, you're weirdos. All three of you," I huffed.

He chuckled softly.

"I know." He pulled me sideways on his lap.

"And you are an avenger angel," he mumbled and breathed a kiss into the crook of my neck.

I had to supress a giggle from the tickling sensation.

"I don't think Archie Reom has ever wet his pants this beautifully and well-deserved." He kissed my cheek, "That was first-class, y/n. You avenged Ben good."

We both looked up as my phone lit up.

"Speaking of the devil," Nate chuckled when he got a look at the screen as I took my phone from the nightstand.

【 Ben 】

B: You're awake.

Y/n: I am. How do you know?

B: Your lights are on.

B: I see Nate is with you.

Nate snorted amused while following the conversation over my shoulder.

I should really invest in some curtains.

Y/n: Yes, he's here.

Nate and I stared at the screen while Ben was typing for a long time, stopped, then typed again.

B: Can I come around too?

I looked at Nate over my shoulder.

"Is it okay if he comes by?"

"Yes. As long as it's Ben or Dante, I'll never have a problem with them joining. They're like a part of me." Nate placed a kiss on my forehead while I wrote Ben that I'd open the door for him. When I tried to get up from his lap, Nate's grip around me fastened.

"Other men though," Nate continued, "will not even get near you. Not after I have claimed you, angel." He bit softly into my neck, then released me from his grip. I got up and headed for the door.

"For as long as our deal lasts, this may hold true," I let him know and looked over my shoulder, quite interested in his reaction. 

I found him staring at me with a tense face and a clenched jaw.

☆・*。

Notes from the all-knowing author:

Soooorry for the long wait!!! And at such a dramatic point😭 I've been sick and didn't have the energy to do anything productive 🤒