51. European Champion Clubs' Cup

The weeks of the finals passed by in a blur of endless learning, intermitted by draining exams

As expected, I was hardly seeing the three after they had come back from the football tournament. Since there were no regular classes anymore, we only came to school for the exams. The corridors were empty and I only saw my schoolmates when they were hunched over their papers with creases of concentration on their foreheads or silent cries of despair on their lips.

Talking about despair. The great finale of my finals was the sports test.

Sitting in the dimly lit changing room, I took my time to put on my sports gear. The eleven other girls who had the sports exam with me trickled out of the room till it was only me and my pounding heart left there.

I released a long exhale, got up and stretched out my arms above my head.

I'm gonna do this, I told myself, wiping my sweaty hands on my shorts.

That's the last time I'll ever have to kick a football, I added to myself and, actually, that worked as a pretty good motivation.

I rolled my shoulders and stepped out of the changing room into the hall.

Everyone drew a piece of paper with their team and position. We played six against six. Mine said striker on team two.

R.I.P., was all I could think as I surrendered to my fate and took my position in front of the opponent's goal. The striker was the attacker, the one responsible to make goals. Nate's and Dante's position.

My team recognised each other with a brief nod. Nya, the other striker of team two won kick-off and the game started.

The screeching of gym shoes on linoleum echoed from the walls. I stormed forward and tried to get a good position in between the opposing defenders who tried to cover me. 

I was fully focussed on the game, I forgot my fear of stumbling, my fear of failing. I was running on Dante's football instructions, my personal drill-sergeants words popping up in my head as I ran.

'Storm forward.' 

'Outflank.' 

'Use your elbows. Push 'em into the ribs.' 

'Shoot, Kitten, what are you waiting for? I'm not covering you properly.'

I blinked, awakening from my trance-like state. The clapping and cheers of my teammates reached my ears.

With a bitter face, the opposing goalkeeper peeled the football out of the net that I had blasted in there. Realizing, I had just darted past the defence and made a goal, I grinned. With arms raised, I turned to my team to celebrate my goal with them.

Then we continued to fight for another half an hour. Nya and the opposing team made two other goals, so that the whole thing ended on a solid 2 to 1 for us.