41. BFFs

When I approached the school building on Monday, I was a nervous wreck

When I approached the school building on Monday, I was a nervous wreck. Thousand scenarios of how people would react to me, the crown's side chick, swirled through my head. 

Would they throw rotten tomatoes at me or rather flowers? I could just say one thing for sure, I would get a lot of attention after the fangirls had seen me too close with the three at the alumni reception. There was no way out of it. I braced myself and straightened my shoulders, before entering through the double door.

And from all sides, sweetly smiling faces crushed down on me.

"Hey, y/n!"

"Aren't you the girl who's with the three?"

"Hiii y/n!"

"You're y/n, right? I'm Emily."

"You're kind of close with the three, aren't you?"

"Wow, y/n, that's such a cute bag you have. Where is it from?"

"Y/n! Do you remember me?"

I blinked, swaying back and forth on my feet, before I got a hold of myself and quickly continued my way to my locker. My grip was so tight around the strap of my bag that my knuckles hurt.

"I'm sitting next to you in English class! Don't you remember?" Someone shouted after me with a desperate tremor in their voice.

Luckily, no one dared to follow me to my locker where Ben, Nate, Dante and Ellie had gathered.

The guys greeted me with a smile and a twinkle in their eyes. I smiled back and reached for my math book.

At least during the lessons, I had my peace and quiet. But lunchbreak came way too fast.

As I stood with my tray in the queue at the food counter, soon a knot of people formed around me, pestering me with questions and making compliments on random things about me.

"Move aside, leave our best friend alone!" A high-pitched voice cut through them.

I watched Hebe and Svenja march through the crowd of people, shooing them and pushing them aside.

I was pulled into an overbearing hug by Hebe. Her intrusive parfum made me dizzy.

As soon as she let go of me, Svenja hugged me with an excited grin.

"You looked so good on Friday in that dress, oh my god," she told me meanwhile.

"Yes, I loved everything about your outfit! You were shining!" Hebe added quickly, then she pouted, "So sad we didn't have time together at the event. I mean – we're basically besties!" She looked at Svenja, who nodded in agreement.

"We're your girl-squad!" Svenja giggled and nudged my arm with her fist.

"O-okay," I mumbled, but my smile was forced.