48. Complicated Teenager

。:°✽ A girl approaching school after spending two days at home with mum's approval

。:°✽ A girl approaching school after spending two days at home with mum's approval... 。:°✽

The heavy oak doors of the school crept closer with every step I took.

It would be an ordeal to see the three. I knew it would happen eventually, even though I took measures to avoid them as much as possible.

I clutched the key to my new locker in my hand that I had just swapped with Milan for my old one.

After I had turned on my phone again yesterday, I had noticed multiple messages in the group chat that I had with Nora, Dilara and Milan, asking where I was and expressing their concern about my absence. It had lifted my mood considerably.

I had decided to call Nora and told her about my thwarted confession of feelings, Ellie's rant, and the heartache I was experiencing. Nora wasn't exactly good at comforting, but her confident and down-to-earth perspective helped me to get my shit together at least to the point to get out of my bed and back to school.

Nora also had asked me if I knew about a feud between the three and Taylor. When I denied, she told me about some weird incidence where the three had searched everyone's phone in the assembly hall. I told her whatever the three of them had cooked up again, this hadn't anything to do with me.

I adjusted my sunglasses on my nose as I came to a stop in front of the school's entry door. It had taken me some time this morning to decide what was the lesser of two evils – having my school mates see my puffy eyes or being the weirdo wearing sunglasses inside. I had decided for the latter. I especially didn't want the three to see my devastated state.

With a sigh, I opened the doors and stepped inside. I didn't look at the three elephants in the room. Even though they attracted my gaze like a magnet, I withstood.

But I saw them turning to me at the edge of my vision, felt their stares burn into my skin. Nervously adjusting my sunglasses again, I hurried past them to where Nora and Dilara were waiting for me at my new locker.

And that was about my life in between lessons – force myself to ignore them. Withstand my habit to throw them an intimate gaze, a warm smile, a longing look. It was after those moments in which I was overcome with this treacherous instinctive feeling of closeness, when it hurt the most, realizing that they were distant now. Unreachable, like in old times.

It was at the end of the school day – I strolled along the corridor with the lockers – when I slipped. Metaphorically. I had just found out that they had broken up with Ellie. Maybe that had made me weak. My gaze took on a life of its own and wandered over to the three figures that had already tempted me the whole day. I found three pairs of eyes trained on me. And even though I wore my sunglasses, I knew instantly that they felt my eyes on them. Just like I had felt theirs on me.

I almost stumbled when I saw their shattered gazes and the dark circles under their eyes. And I wondered. Did my withdrawal affect them? Surely, they must feel bad about it to some degree. They had called me their best friend after all. Maybe I shouldn't have ordered them to not talk to me anymore. But, no. I wouldn't be able to bear talking to them right now. I'd never get over them that way.