5. Private Property

The bus was almost empty when I hopped out of it

The bus was almost empty when I hopped out of it. I lived in an area where people not usually took the bus. If my neighbours didn't want to drive themselves or were too young to do so, they simply called their chauffeur.

I passed one expansive private park after another, each one of them containing another breath-taking mansion. 

At one of those cast-iron gates, I stopped to open it with my key-card. A long cobblestone path led me to a vast 16th century manor. It was well restored, noble and charming. The park that surrounded it was meticulously manicured.

I reached the forecourt of the mansion; it was flanked by a grand garage-building and a fountain was dancing in its centre.

Home sweet home, I thought

Home sweet home, I thought. And made a sharp turn to the left. The white cobblestones led me past multiple rose bushes and a little birch grove to a cute house that was in the style of the manor, just ten times smaller. The wooden fence-gate creaked when I opened it. After entering the warmly decorated house, I went straight to the kitchen to inspect the fridge for snacks.

My parents weren't home. They had a full schedule, working for the Reom family. Yes, Reom as in Ben Reom, my schoolmate. We moved here one year ago when my father had taken the job as their gardener and my mother became the housekeeper. 

We lived in the gardener's house on their estate for free which was a big benefit. It enabled my parents to pay the fee for Burmore, whose dean happened to be my parent's employer, Ben's mother. The world was small. I shook my head. Sometimes too small for my liking.

I found some fruit salad and climbed up the stairs to my room. I settled down at my desk and tried to get control over the mountain of homework I had gotten over the week.

The dusk had already squeezed the light out of the sky, when my phone rang.

"Hey honey," my mother's voice sounded, "I'm in front of the gates and my card isn't working again. Mrs. Reom already ordered a new one, but it hasn't arrived yet. Can you help me out?"

"Yes, I'm coming."

"You're a darling!"

I hurried out of the house, actually happy to get away from the suffocating homework. I jogged through the night to the gate, where my mother's red VW Polo was waiting. I put my card against the receptor. The high gate started to move. My mom's car halted next to me as she was waiting for me to get in. I opened the passenger's door.

"Hey, mum, I think I'll walk back. I need some fresh air." And I want to postpone the excruciating reunion with my homework.

"Okay, honey." My mum drove off.

I took a deep breath of summer-night-air and continued my evening stroll back to the house. 

The calm soon was disturbed by tires, rolling over the cobble stones behind me. Probably a member of the Reom family on their way home. I stepped to the side to let them pass.

But instead of passing, the sleek Audi stopped abruptly next to me.

I halted too, since it was obvious that they stopped because of me. Suddenly, the driver's door was opened and Ben appeared next to me.

"What the-", he hissed then grabbed my chin and turned my face into the moonlight.

His eyes widened in recognition.

"You? The ice-cream girl? What are you doing on my family's property?"

Now it was my time to stare at him.

"What I'm doing here? I live here."

He blinked.

"In the gardeners house," I added.

His eyes narrowed as if he didn't believe me.

"For how long?"

"We moved here last year."

He held my gaze for a moment, then let go of my chin and ran his hand through his hair, letting the strands stand in every direction.

"The fuck?" He mumbled more to himself, then looked at me again.

"I've never noticed you."

I shrugged.

"One of my rare talents."

He eyed me. The storm-grey of his sharp eyes reflected the moonlight as they wandered up and down my body, making me self-conscious.

"Huh," he made.

I bit my lip.

"What's your name?"

Is this really the second incident of royal interest in my name within a day?

"Y/n." I was thankful for the night to cover my flushed face.

"My name's Ben."

My eyes jolted up into his. Is he kidding me?

"Anyway, have a good night," he told me and got back into his car.

"You too," I croaked.

When I was back in my room again, I slumped down on my desk chair. But I couldn't concentrate on my homework. Instead, I propped up my chin on my fist and got lost in my thoughts till I fell asleep, my head bedded on unanswered physics questions.

☆・*。