9. Everything comes at a prize pt. 1

On my way home from work, I was constantly fiddling with the hem of my work shirt that said 'gelato', the 'o' being a smiling face

To say I was nervous was an understatement. Everything comes at a prize. Ben's words echoed in my head. A glance at my phone told me that I had fifteen minutes left before I would get to know about this ominous prize.

I hopped out of the bus and passed the cast-iron gates to the Reom estate a few minutes later. The gravel beneath my feet crunched as I followed the garden's paths through the settling dusk. A light breeze played with my hair and sent goosebumps over my skin.

I knew where the pond was that was halfway overgrown with beautiful white and pink waterlilies. My dad had shown me the little park he tended for the Reom family a few times. I rounded the water and sat down in a nearby gazebo that was rose-clad.

I didn't wait long before three figures emerged from the grey of the rising night. When they entered the gazebo, it felt as if it shrank and my breathing accelerated.

"Good evening, y/n." Ben was the first one to enter and sat down at my right.

"Y/n," Dante murmured, shot me a glance from his dark eyes and sat down at my left so that I was sandwiched between them. I didn't dare to move an inch with them being so close.

"Hey, beautiful." Nate smiled mildly and took a seat on the bench opposite me.

He propped his elbows on his thighs and focussed his eyes on me.

"Thank you for meeting us tonight."

"I'm doing this for my mum," I murmured and looked at the ground. I felt abashed with their full attention on me while being this close in the nightly darkness.

"Hey, look into my eyes, beautiful." Nate's voice was soft and warm.

Before I could bring myself to look up, I felt Dante's hand underneath my chin, lifting it.

My eyes met Nate's golden orbs while Dante's touch still lingered on my skin. My senses felt overwhelmed and heat shot into my face. Everything about this was too intimate.

"You want something from us, we want something from you. Perfect opportunity for a deal, don't you think?"

"W-what do you want from me?" I breathed.

"We want you to hang out with us." Nate shrugged, "Whenever we tell you to."

I frowned.

"Why?"

"Because we can't accept that someone doesn't want to be around us. That's why we seize the opportunity to make you." Dante whispered into my ear. His fingers caressed my hair softly.

I stared at Dante.

"You are...arrogant pricks." I bit my lip, after the words spilled out.

Maybe, I should watch my mouth better since this is a three to one situation, I scolded myself.