37. The Overachiever-Award

While the school building was impressive at day, it was breathtaking at night

While the school building was impressive at day, it was breathtaking at night. Lamps that were embedded in the floor around the building illuminated the ornate walls and the column-framed entrance. The women in fine silk and gents in tuxedos, hurrying towards the entrance with imperious steps, chased off the last remnants of everyday school life.

"Ready, angel?" Nate smiled at me from the driver's side of his parked car.

I eyed him. He wore a tailored suit, grey waistcoat, leather shoes - there was even a watch at his wrist that I had never seen before. His loosely back-combed locks made him look perfume-ad-sexy. I gulped and looked ahead so as not to eyeball him.

I nodded. "You go first."

He sighed.

"I'd prefer you to go first, so I can keep an eye on you when you're crossing the dark parking lot," he admitted.

A warm feeling spread in my stomach at him caring for my safety.

"But before you go..." I watched him reach into the inside pocket of his suit, "Here, this is for you."

I looked down to find him holding a little velvety box to me. I took it with bated breath and let the lid snap open. A pair of beautifully crafted earrings, matching to my necklace, twinkled at me.

"Nate," I breathed and looked up at him. He smiled sheepishly, golden eyes shining.

"They form a set with the necklace. I thought you may like them."

Looking back down at the jewellery, I cleared my throat with emotion.

"Thank you, they're beautiful," I whispered.

"Not as beautiful as you."

I folded down the sunshade of the car to look into the small mirror on its back while I put them on. Then I opened the door. Cool night air swirled inside and trickled my skin.

"See you." I smiled at Nate.

Before I knew it, he leaned over me, his lips pressed on mine while his hands held my head in place.

After a short but intense kiss, he let go and looked deep into my eyes.

"See you."

I stood in front of the school's entrance and stroked over my new dress. I had found it on a shopping-trip last week. It had been tempting me through a shop window with my favourite colour, the most flattering fashion for my body-type and unobtrusive elegance – the whole package. And with the monthly money from Nate, I didn't have an excuse not to buy it.

Turning my head left and right, I warily watched the important-looking people that passed me.

Let's go, I told myself, gulping down my nervousness. I had promised Ben to be there when he got his award. And I could never ever break a promise I made to my best friends. I couldn't pinpoint when exactly the three had become so important to me, but at one point they had.