53. ...ise

"Yes! I want to be your girlfriend!" I exclaimed and immediately got lifted from the chair and pulled into a hug by Nate

My arms clasped around his broad shoulders. I felt Ben's hard chest against my back and Dante's heat, enveloping us from the side, pressing the other two even closer into me.

"Fucking finally," Dante whispered directly into my ear.

"Come, we'll show you something," Nate grinned as he loosened his grip around me.

I followed them through multiple dark corridors and up a winding stair till we stepped out onto the school's tower that overlooked the whole Academy and the parking lot in the front.

My mouth parted in awe as I stumbled to the banister to take in the moonlit view.

I had always seen the tower from below, not knowing that one could actually go up there.

"Wow!" I exclaimed.

Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath. The air smelled of sleeping spring flowers and of the earth awakening from its winter sleep. 

The delicious scent of the three mixed with it as they stepped closer. My smile widened, knowing they got real close when their warmth engulfed my body.

The way, the two hands slid firmly around my waist, pulling me gently, almost questioningly, against a lean chest, I knew, Ben was behind me without even looking.

I leaned into his embrace, opening my eyes again. Nate and Dante leaned on the banister left and right of us.

My eyes travelled across the dark schoolyard, over the centuries old buildings. I found the windows to my hated math class. The place where Ellie had been introduced to us one year ago.

It was weird – the thought that the three would probably never have noticed me without Ellie being in the ice cream shop that fateful day, whining about sugar free strawberry.

My eyes wandered on over the modern building of the cafeteria, nestled in between two of the old buildings. There, I had spent countless meals, listening to Hebe's and Svenja's gossip, throwing secret glances at the royal table.

On one hand, I was relieved that school was over. The shallow social hierarchy, stuck widespread judgements about people, persistent gossip – all dissolved into the chilly air tonight. 

On the other hand, a heavy veil of nostalgia lay over my chest at the thought to leave this place forever. Even though I had only spent two years at this school, it had been the most intense time of my life so far. The most angsty time, for sure, but the most exciting too.

"This is our very last day at this school," I whispered, "Forever."

"Yeah," Dante murmured, lost in thoughts.

"Eight years," Ben whispered, nestling his head into the crook of my neck, "...of boredom."

We chuckled.