44. Almost

I was sitting with Nora on a decorated bench on the school yard which looked like a castle garden

I was sitting with Nora on a decorated bench on the school yard which looked like a castle garden. Symmetrical patches of fresh green lawn were surrounded by white and purple flower beds. An old willow tree was swaying its branches in the breeze behind us. 

Dilara and Milan were absent because they had to "work on their arts project", like every break recently. Just to come back at the end of it breathless with swollen lips and ruffled hair.

"Okay, something's going on," Nora mused.

"I think they're making out," I told her.

She looked at me dumbfounded for a moment, then laughed.

"I'm not talking about our two top-secret lovebirds," she clarified, "But, yeah, they're definitely making out and I wouldn't be surprised to find them doing it in a toilet stall right now. They can get disgusting when they're horny."

She made a sweeping gesture with her hand.

"But I was actually talking about you. You radiate nervousness. That constant fiddling with the hem of your skirt drives me crazy. What's going on with you?"

I looked down at my fingers, fiddling with the hem of my skirt, then remembered what Nora just said and let go of it.

"I, uhm, think I developed some feelings." My gaze wandered into the distance, over the meticulously trimmed grass, interrupted by strict flower-patterns.

"Developed some feelings, huh?" Nora asked with a smirk, "Which one is it? - The golden prince charming, highly-intelligent runway model or tatted bad boy?"

I scratched my neck and chuckled awkwardly.

"All of them, actually."

Nora lifted an eyebrow.

"Very well. All good things come in threes, I guess." She chuckled and ran her hand through her fiery hair.

"I...have something going on with them. As you probably have already noted," I bit my lip and swallowed, before continuing, "It's something half-assed and...I can't go on like this. Not when having feelings for them."

Nora nodded understandingly. "What are you going to do about it?"

I released a long exhale, then turned to look her in the eyes.

"I'm going to tell them." Now, that I said it out loud, my plans to confess my feelings to the three became much more real. And much more frightening.

Nora eyed me for a while, then a proud smile formed on her face.

"I like that. Put your cards on the table. Tell them straight what you want instead of sitting, waiting, wishing. That's a big part of my philosophy in life, actually. And I appreciate that you seem to think likewise."

I returned her smile, then bit my lip in thoughts.

"You've been with Dante in middle school, haven't you?" I had this issue in the back of my head for a while now.