8. Broken Art

The strategy, I pursued on Monday, was pretty simple: avoidance

The strategy, I pursued on Monday, was pretty simple: avoidance. At every cost. I came five minutes late to math class, didn't spare a single glance at my three suspicious wannabe friends in the last row and was the first to sprint out of the room like a scalded cat.

My plan went as far that I brought my own sandwiches to be able to spend lunchtime in a booth in the women's bathroom instead of the cafeteria.

Everything went according to my plan until I passed the gym on my way to the bus stop after school. I had wasted time before leaving, just so that I could be sure I didn't meet them in the hallways. But this turned out to be a fatal miscalculation.

Just as I was passing the entrance to the gym, the whole football team, dressed in jerseys, shorts and spikes, spilled out of the doors on their way to the outdoor football ground.

Well, shit.

Nate, Ben and Dante stopped in their tracks when they saw me. The rest of the team ignored me and went on towards the field. I quickened my pace to get into the opposite direction.

"Y/n." I heard them coming after me.

Okay, I'm going to handle this like a grown up, I thought and decided against running away since it would probably just sweeten their warm-up run to catch me within seconds.

Instead, I turned around and forced a smile. They halted right in front of me like a tall muscled wall.

"Um, hi," I said, feigning surprise.

"Are you avoiding us?" Nate tilted his head.

"Um, no."

"Good. Because it kind of seemed like it. You know, you not even glancing at us, not appearing at lunch or anywhere where we were present." A smile tugged at the corner of his lips, "And we were wondering why would you avoid us when we've been nothing but nice to you the last days. And we were planning on being nothing but nice to you in the future."

Cautiously, I roamed his golden orbs for any trace of a lie or a thread. There wasn't. I glanced over at Dante.

"Were you?" I doubted.

Dante sighed and crossed his arms over his chest, his muscles stretching the jersey.

"I did apologize to you, didn't I?"

I nodded slowly, biting my lip.

"Okay," I finally voiced, "You will be nice and leave me alone from now on?"

They blinked as if they didn't expect my words.

"You want to be left alone by us?" Dante sounded as if he could hardly believe there was a human being who didn't want to be constantly bothered by them. They were so spoiled.

"Yes!" I crossed my arms over my chest with a determined look.

The guys stared at me for a moment. Ben almost glared, Dante looked like this didn't suit his book at all and Nate looked like he bit into something sour.