30. Not Alone

TW: mention of suicide

When we arrived at Dante's, it was already eight pm

When we arrived at Dante's, it was already eight pm. His apartment was in a high apartment building and from two see-through exterior walls you could look down at the big city. The interior was dark, expensive and masculine. Well, except for the beige plushy cat tree in the living room area.

A loud "Miaow" sounded from between Dante's feet as we stepped inside.

We looked down to a striped cat, nestling against Dante's legs while eyeing me critically.

"That's Bonnie."

"Awww," I made and squatted down to present her my hand.

She sniffed cautiously, then turned around to snuggle Dante, ignoring me.

"She's shy," I noted.

Dante snorted.

"Naw. She just hates strangers. You're lucky she doesn't make a scene. Clyde is the shy one. You probably won't get a glimpse of him the first ten times you're here."

I stood up and walked deeper into the living room area with squinted eyes, bent on finding this mysterious Clyde. Meanwhile, Dante ruffled the purring Bonnie's fur and checked on the cat's food station.

My eyes fell on the round hole in one of the fluffy boxes of the cat tree. Two reflecting green eyes stared back at me out of the darkness.

"Well, hello Clyde," I murmured with a smirk, then continued to explore Dante's expansive apartment.

"So, you live alone? Besides your cats of course." I asked him.

"I do," he confirmed.

It wasn't that strange to live alone at eighteen. Maybe a bit strange since it was in a luxury apartment fit for a forty-year-old top lawyer or so. But I already knew he was spoiled rotten.

The doorbell rang and our food was delivered which we had presciently ordered on the way home.

When Dante sat down on his couch with the food, I hesitated, then spread a blanket under me and sat down, too. If my parents saw me eating dinner on a couch, I'd get an earful.

"Since when do you live in this apartment?" I asked, lifting a bunch of noodles with my chopsticks.

"Since I'm fourteen. I was on a boarding school before, then changed to Burmore and moved here."

I almost choked on my noodles.

"You live alone since you're fourteen?" I looked at him in disbelieve.

"No. My uncle employed an in- house nanny. Who happened to be a twenty-year-old girl who threw parties at my apartment and introduced me to alcohol, marihuana, and sex." He snorted out a laughter. "When I turned sixteen, I could finally convince him to let me live alone."