50. Old Friends

Rubbing my eyes, I looked up from the chequered paper full of numbers variables and operators

Rubbing my eyes, I looked up from the chequered paper full of numbers variables and operators. It was already nighttime and my desk lamp had to fight the darkness as well as the drowsiness that came with it.

But I wasn't even close to going to bed. The last math exam before the finals was tomorrow. I needed to score above a C to be admitted to the finals. And consequently, I was on the edge.

I blinked a few times and yawned, running my hands through my messy hair, then I reached for my phone, eager for some distraction from my marathon math-learning. I was about to navigate to the new chats I had with Dante and Nate, to listen to their voicemails again which I did regularly since I received them five days ago.

My eyes widened in surprise, when I saw that a third unknown number had contacted me. Hardly able to contain my excitement, I started the voicemail that the number had sent me.

"Hey...," Ben's voice sounded. The voicemail ended and the second started.

"Hey...uh, I'm bad at this..." The second voicemail ended.

"Hey... sorry. How can I delete them before sending?... Uh, whatever. I prefer writing over speaking...but I think the latter is more adequate to...what you mean to me," he paused, taking a deep breath, "I just wanted to...wish you the best luck for the math exam tomorrow. Even though I know this is unnecessary. You don't need luck. I know you have it by now. I...had the honour to watch your progress back when I tutored you." 

I could hear a small smile in his voice and my eyes watered. I drew in a shaky breath.

"I bet you studied a lot for tomorrow. You should make a pause tonight, though. It's better to relax the evening before the exam. Do something nice. Read a book or watch your favourite tv show or...or come over. I mean - that was a joke. I know you won't come over. But it wasn't a joke to be honest. I'd love you to come over to me. But it's fine if you don't. I don't want to be annoying. I hope I'm not annoying... Urgh, how can I delete these? ...Have a good night. And forget what I said."

With a small pling yet another voicemail started.

"Don't forget what I said. Because I meant it."

Pling.

"I love you."

Pling.

"I shouldn't have...just said that like this, right?"

Pling.

"I'm Ben by the way...I forgot to say that in the beginning...phew...Okay, that's enough voicemails for today. Good night."

"Oh, Ben," I whispered with a moved smile and my gaze wandered over to the mansion, up to the window in the third story where I knew his room was. A dim light was glowing in it, like that of a bedside lamp and I thought I saw someone move right behind the window.